August 22, 2024

Katrina Monroe: "Through the Midnight Door" (ARC Review)

Title: Through the Midnight Door [on Amazon | on Goodreads]
Series: None
Author: Katrina Monroe [Site | Goodreads]
Genres: Supernatural, Thriller/Mystery, Horror
Year: 2024
Age: 18+
Stars: 4.5/5
Pros: Creative twist on the magical/evil house trope. Excellent characterisation.
Cons: The supernatural experiences inside the house could have been fleshed out more. A familial problem gets resolved too easily. There's some confusion about the characters' ages (though for all I know, it might have been fixed in the finished version).
WARNING! Blood and gore, implied suicide, self-harm, abuse/child abuse (not sexual), poverty, child loss, kidnapping, stalking, manipulation, alcoholism, vomiting, car-crash imagery, bug horror, fires. On the mental-health side: PTST, paranoia, OCD, depression, grief, guilt, generational trauma.
Will appeal to: Those who enjoy a visceral examination of trauma and strained sisterly relationships on the backdrop of an atmospheric supernatural thriller.

Blurb: The Finch sisters once spent long, hot summers exploring the dozens of abandoned properties littering their dying town - until they found an impossible home with an endless hall of doors…and three keys left waiting for them. Curious, fearless, they stepped inside their chosen rooms, and experienced horrors they never dared speak of again. Now, years later, youngest sister Claire has been discovered dead in that old, desiccated house. Haunted by their sister's suicide and the memories of a past they've struggled to forget, Meg and Esther find themselves at bitter odds. As they navigate the tensions of their brittle relationship, they draw unsettling lines between Claire's death, their own haunted memories, and a long-ago loss no one in their family has ever been able to face. With the house once again pulling them ever-closer, Meg and Esther must find the connection between their sister's death and the shadow that has chased them across the years...before the darkness claims them, too. (Amazon)

Review: First off...DISCLAIMER: I requested this title on NetGalley. Thanks to Poisoned Pen Press/Sourcebooks for providing an ecopy. This didn't influence my review in any way.

SISTERS IN HARMS

Haunted/cursed/magical/evil houses have been a horror trope for ages, and 2024 in particular turned out to be rife of novels that put them front and center - I've read three in the last weeks alone, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. This is why it's all the more remarkable that some authors are still able to spin a fresh story around spooky mansions, as it's the case with Through the Midnight Door. I'll be honest though - in this book, it's the complex, often frayed relationship between three sisters (and their characterisation as individuals, or with regard to other people) that steals the scene. That's not to say that the house portion of the story doesn't deliver, though I expected a tad more (I'll come to that in a minute), and there's no denying that the other supernatural occurrences sprinkled throughout the novel are appropriately chilling - but the sisterly dynamic remains the core of the narrative, and a strong one at that. Through the Midnight Door weaves sibling rivalry/dependency, dysfunctional and toxic relationships, familial trauma, mental health issues, yet it's an uplifting story in what its protagonists are doing their best to bring justice to their dead sister, conquer the darkness that's trying to engulf them, and ultimately, find their way back to each other. [...]

A DIFFERENT APPROACH

As I said above, the supernatural aspect of the story is fresh and intriguing, and the reveal about the house's powers is a slow burn that only gets enhanced by the use of multiple timelines. I have to admit that I expected a little more from the "impossible home with an endless hall of doors" - maybe it's just that I'm a sucker for parallel universes/alternate realities, and there was so much potential for this story to lean in that direction more than it does. Instead, most of the sisters' visions inside the house are on the short side, and the house's interior itself doesn't feature in the narrative as prominently as I anticipated. On the other hand, I loved the connection between the evil inside the house and the sisters' generational trauma/complex feelings and emotions (not to mention that there's another character who brings their own darkness to the party, and it's my interpretation that the house feeds on it too at some point). It's so much more interesting than your average supernatural haunting, and it gives the story a different, very human kind of depth. Through the Midnight Door ended up being another instance of "I came for the weird magic, I stayed for the characters' journey" for me. Despite my expecting more from the supernatural premise, and a couple of hiccups (see the Cons section above - I'm not going to dwell on them and risk to become boring or spoilery), I found it to be a solid, emotional read that supernatural-horror-meets-family-drama fans shouldn't miss. 

For more Adult books click here.
For more Supernatural books click here.
For more Thriller/Mystery books click here.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh 4.5 stars! I'm so curious about the house, and I love when authors do new things with the haunted house trope, since it's one of my favorites. I'm behind but I'll definitely be reading this soon. Awesome review😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking forward to comparing thoughts (about the house, though, keep in mind that it's less prominent than the sisterly relationship...).

      Delete
  2. I read one book about a house that was sentient or had powers and it was so fun. Parallel universes and such can be fun when done right. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now I want to know which book was that!

      Delete
  3. OH evil houses are a thing? I could get down with that

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have read a book about an evil house, but I have seen plenty of movies where I always implored the characters to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂

      I guess evil houses in books aren't your jam, but there's been a surge of them lately, and the ones I've read were all interesting takes on the trope!

      Delete
  5. Sounds similar to the Shadow House series by Dan Poblocki. It has a house that has endless amounts of rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked into it, and though they share a concept, they don't seem to be much alike (not only because The Shadow House is MG, it seems?). We don't get to see past a couple of rooms in this one, and they don't exactly disappear...

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.