August 12, 2024

Cherie Priest: "The Drowning House" (ARC Review)

Title: The Drowning House [on Amazon | on Goodreads]
Series: None
Author: Cherie Priest [Site | Goodreads]
Genres: Supernatural, Thriller/Mystery, Horror
Year: 2024
Age: 18+
Stars: 4/5
Pros: Creative premise. Interesting, atmospheric mix of thriller and supernatural (namely, Norse mythology). Strong characterisation/character dynamics.
Cons: The protagonists' bickering and ego trips can get annoying at times. A couple of plot points lack strong foundations.
WARNING! Near-drowning, human remains, fires/explosions.
Will appeal to: Those who like a slow-burn, creepy mystery (but with a frantic climax) on the backdrop of old friendships and even older family secrets.

Blurb: A violent storm washes a mysterious house onto a rural Pacific Northwest beach, stopping the heart of the only woman who knows what it means. Her grandson, Simon Culpepper, vanishes in the aftermath, leaving two of his childhood friends to comb the small, isolated island for answers - but decades have passed since Melissa and Leo were close, if they were ever close at all. Now they'll have to put aside old rivalries and grudges if they want to find or save the man who brought them together in the first place - and on the way they'll learn a great deal about the sinister house on the beach, the man who built it, and the evil he's bringing back to Marrowstone Island. (Amazon)

Review: First off...DISCLAIMER: I requested this title on NetGalley. Thanks to Poisoned Pen Press/Sourcebooks for providing an ecopy. This didn't influence my review in any way.

DOUBLE ROOM

How many books can you count that start with a housewreck? To the best of my knowledge, there are none; so I was immediately drawn to this story, where a dilapidated mansion washes up on a small town's shore causing the death of an old woman, Mrs Culpepper - not for the reasons you may expect - and the disappearance of her nephew Simon. I mean, the concept is awesome...though the aforementioned house ends up being of less consequence than I anticipated, while Mrs Culpepper's house is more central to the story (not only because Melissa and Leo, the two main characters, camp out in there). There are two levels to the mystery of the ominous mansion on the beach: one of them isn't particularly hard to crack, even before we get the wreckage's backstory (I'm referring to its origins - though where it's coming from NOW it's a different kettle of fish altogether, and we never get an answer for that, even if I have a theory), the rest is revealed bit by bit via some appalling discoveries the two protagonists make inside the other house, the one where they're staying, and thanks to some sniping of their own. The juxtaposition of typical thriller structure and supernatural content (namely, Norse magic/mythology) works very well, and the flashbacks into Melissa, Leo and Simon's childhood/young adulthood under Mrs Culpepper's wing are not only integral to the story (and necessary for character development), but also charming and poignant. [...]

ASSEMBLY ROOM

For a book with a supernatural mystery at its core, The Drowning House is very character-driven - again, on two levels, since it intersects two temporal planes. The flashbacks give us clues about the mystery itself, but first and foremost offer a perspective of Melissa and Leo's friendship with Simon and with each other - though to be honest, Simon is the only thing they have in common. It was refreshing to have two middle-aged heroes (so to speak) for a change - Melissa is 46, Leo is 42. There's some intersectional diversity too, in that Leo is Latino, gay and fat (in his own words), though the last thing comes out of the blue and doesn't really have anything to do with...anything. Adult Leo and Melissa can come across as unlikeable at times, especially during bickering time, but their emotional baggage (mostly centered around Simon) makes them more human and genuine, and I enjoyed seeing them come together to save the day, along with some unexpected allies - though the flashbacks, especially the pre-teen ones, steal the scene with their authenticity and make you want to protect these children.
I do have a few qualms about this story...like, why didn't Mrs Culpepper try to destroy a certain object instead of simply rendering it dormant (for lack of a better word)? How can a middle-aged woman manage to lift a series of 40-pound tanks? (I know I'd break myself if I tried). And wouldn't forensics be able to see through Melissa and Leo's cover story? But I was able to suspend disbelief and devise an explanation, up to a point (though point N°1 still bothers me). All in all, I found The Drowning House to be a fascinating brew of mystery, magic and mended (though still imperfect) relationships, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a supernatural thriller with strong character development.

For more Adult books click here.
For more Supernatural books click here.
For more Thriller books click here.

15 comments:

  1. You're right, I've never read a book that started with a house being washed up on a beach. But the magic and mystery of this story sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Though you don't usually read supernatural novels, this is enough of a crossover with a thriller that it could work for you.

      Delete
  3. It really isn't often that a house washes up on the shore. I can promise you that I would not have entered the house. I like that the author tapped a little less used mythology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was definitely off the beaten path - both the mythology and the housewreck. LOL, I probably would have entered! I'm a bit obsessed with houses - I even dream of them sometimes.

      Delete
  4. This sounds really interesting. I'm trying to picture a house washing up on the shore. It seems to strange yet intriguing. I'm glad you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house is more of a starting point for the story than a real setting (except for a short while), but it makes for an intriguing premise indeed!

      Delete
  5. I feel bad that I set this aside. It just wasn't going anywhere and I was so bored. The jury is out on whether I'll go back and try again, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm sorry it didn't work for you! If it helps, the last section has more action and brings the supernatural arc to fruition...I have to say that, personally, the first half worked for me mainly because I loved to read about the protagonists as kids/teens.

      Delete
  6. I love this author and hope to read this one soon. I did start it at the end of July but I had other reading obligations so I put it down. I wouldn't call it a DNF though. This author writes so many different genres but there always seems to be an underlying supernatural element somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you decide to pick it up again...it's more character-driven than I expected, and the house doesn't play much of a role in the whole thing, but it has a lot going for it, and if you usually enjoy Priest's books, I'm sure you'll end up liking this one as well (though I can't compare it to her other novels, since this was my first one by her!).

      Delete
  7. 'How can a middle-aged woman manage to lift a series of 40-pound tanks?' -- according to the converter I used, that's about 18 kilos. So... that's a lot, but not impossible. I'm not saying I'd do it *easily* - not by far. But I could probably manage it over an extremely short distance in an extremely dire situation - so it's not impossible. I'd rather not, though - maybe get a trolley or a pulley or something ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...doable, but with a lot of effort, and probably not multiple times. I mean, if I lift 6 maxi water bottles for a total of 12 liters, I pretty much pull every muscle I have LOL. Then again, she's the hero in this story, so she must! 😅

      Delete
    2. Ha, gotta love that plot armour! ;)

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.