July 30, 2019

Tell Me Something Tuesday: Let’s Make New Friends: Share Some of Your Favourite Blogs

Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly discussion post on Rainy Day Ramblings, where the blog's owner Heidi discusses a wide range of topics from books to blogging. Weigh in and join the conversation by adding your thoughts in the comments. If you want to do your own post, grab the question and answer it on your blog.
Here is what is on deck this week:

LET'S MAKE NEW FRIENDS: SHARE SOME OF YOUR FAVOURITE BLOGS

Most of the blogs I'm listing here will probably be familiar to you. The book blogging community is quite a tight one, and I love that about it. But even if this list should end up being a shout-out to all my closest blogging friends and nothing else, hey, it would be time well spent 😘. Here goes (in strictly alphabetical order by blog name)...


  • Hannah Sophia and Lupe @ Bookwyrming Thoughts. Hannah was my very first follower, back when we were having follow train posts on Goodreads (are there still any?). But the thing is, she actually stayed with this old lady through all her ups and downs, despite the huge age difference (I could be her mom...😱) and different tastes in books. I love her blogging voice and her cute dragon (I mean the one on her banner, not her pet one πŸ˜†). Right now she's on a sort of on-and-off hiatus, I assume, though she didn't actually say the word (and it's a while since I read a post by Lupe). But if you give her a follow, she'll be more motivated to end it and put her butt in gear sooner 😜. UPDATE: she's posting! Actually, four posts a month are my own average too, so it may just be that I was used to her blogging often, but she's alive and kicking πŸ˜‰. Still no sign of Lupe though. Well, life happens, you know?
  • Carrie @ Bright, Beautiful Things. Carrie is a fellow Christopher Pike fan I met via Goodreads, a wonderful friend, and hands down the best reviewer I know. An avid reader who'll try (almost) anything and write thoughtful, but apparently effortless review full of puns and quotable sentences. Now hers is a tricky blog to follow, because it's on Tumblr...and we all now Blogger and Wordpress don't communicate well with it (to use an euphemism). But as I said, she also has a Goodreads profile, and she promised me she would start a self-hosted blog (or a blog on a different platform) soon, and when she does (because I'm bugging her nonstop, so she's got no choice πŸ˜‚), I'll be here to gently shepherd you to it (*prepares to kick everyone she knows in the rear*).


  • Shayna @ Clockwork Bibliotheca. A librarian and a recent friend, Shayna blogs about movies, TV series and - of course - books (she also promised me she would post some of her funniest library stories one day - which she just started to do - and I'm holding her to that promise 😜. Huh. Can you see a pattern here? I'm a slave driver to my friends πŸ˜‚). Her reviews are both helpful and personal, which is the best combo. Also, she's a really friendly person and an enthusiastic commenter.
  • Tessa @ Crazy for YA. Tessa has been blogging for as much as I have (and I forgot to mention, Hannah Sophia too), and she's very serious about her reviews...but funny too. She loves puns and alliterations, which she delivers like a pro. She's also a fellow Doctor Who/David Tennant fan, and a Supernatural one as well. Right now she's on a hiatus, I guess - she does her best to keep up with her blog, but sometimes she needs some time out for college or family reasons, and I lose track of her for a while...but she always comes back bigger and better. Give her a follow, and I'm positive that she'll pop up in your feeds one of these days with an awesome post!


  • Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? Lindsi is a former teacher and mother of three, who never fails to deliver posts that will make you smile, even if it's about her broken washing machine odyssey πŸ˜‚. I love her positive attitude, which shows even in her "ouch, I couldn't make it to the end of this book" post series DNF & W. I also love how she makes time to reply to each and every comment and keeps the conversation going. I mean, that's something all the bloggers I'm mentioning have in common, but she always posts detailed replies, and even likes to discuss books with people who have different opinions...
  • Karen @ For What It's Worth. Karen is my oldest blogger friend (sorry Hannah, but we started to actually interact a bit later πŸ˜‰) and the one I chat the most on Twitter. Despite our reading different books and living completely different lives, we bonded - I think - over our mutual sense of humour and genuine interest for what the other has to say (though the fact that we're only a year apart probably helped). She writes a combo of personal posts, posts about blogging (where she never fails to give helpful advice while never climbing on a soapbox) and book reviews. Oh, and she posts pics of her pets and awesome places and yummy food! Also, she's my Queen of Retweets 😘.


  • Lissa @ The Memory of Rain. I've only recently met Lissa, but we took to visiting each other's blog quite often. She muses about a number of things, writes stories, and mostly posts quirky, colourful art that you can also purchase if you're so inclined. Also, she often writes the kind of long, juicy comments that every blogger dreams of receiving πŸ˜€.
  • Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight. Kristen is the only blogger I know that consistently spotlights indie books (mainly supernatural, fantasy and sci-fi), plus some quirky games. She also posts her totally offbeat but awesome art from time to time - like dancing half-unicorns with vitiligo and disabled shark mermen. Not to mention, she's got some of the best recap posts out there πŸ˜‰.


  • Sam @ We Live and Breath Books. Sam is my blogging superhero. Despite a demanding job and daily commute (which she weekly captures in her funny Sunday with Sam posts - also peppered with hilarious animal gifs), she manages to squeeze out 6 posts a week, reply to each and every comment, and visit other people's blogs in a timely manner. Her post titles and on-point gifs are guaranteed to make you smile, and her discussion posts to make you think!
  • Veronika, Ruzaika and Clare @ Wordy and Whimsical. The dynamic trio behind The Regal Critiques has recently moved to Wordpress and rebranded their blog. I met Vera and Ruzi in 2015, when it was just the two of them on the blog. Like Hannah Sophia and Tessa above, they didn't as much as flinch at my ripe age, and have always been among my best blogger friends. They're passionate about diversity in books and like a good rant (especially Vera, who pulls them off...royally  πŸ˜‰).


Well, that's it for now. I'm sorry if I haven't featured you and your blog in my list...but I went with the blogs I read and/or the bloggers I interact with most often. You're all awesome though, and I mean it! And if you're interested in participating, here is the TMST prompt list for the month of August:

  • August 6th: Are there genres that you keep trying only to be disappointed?
  • August 13th: What mistakes have you learned to stop repeating when it comes to reading and blogging?
  • August 20th: Have you found a way to cut back significantly on your TBR pile?
  • August 27th: Why do you read blog posts?

I'll be back for the meme on August 27th, but in the meantime, I will read your TMST posts if you have any!

Now tell me something...any blog you feel like recommending?

27 comments:

  1. It's okay; but I'm still one of the first circle of friends and is your first follower so I'll keep that crown. ;)

    There's still follow trains but I feel they've evolved from solely using them to make friends to collecting numbers and I avoid those now unless I want to be friends with them or enjoy their content. But mainly I avoid them because I'd rather someone follow me because they enjoy my content or want to be my friend, not just so I can follow them back and help them grow their following.

    "If you give her a follow, she'll be more motivated to end it and put her butt in gear sooner." I feel so ATTACKED Roberta how could you do this to me. *sniffs* I AM posting though... when I can and feel the motivation to, but I'm still in that on and off hiatus until the school year starts and I'm not busy 6 out of the 7 days in the week, haha. Lupe is currently busy with life and other issues; I've kicked her to hiatus until she's ready to come back because I'm THAT type of friend. But also if I go on an official hiatus I'd need my group of friends to tie me to my dragon and make sure I don't actually blog... because I would.

    The cute dragon IS my pet dragon but the world doesn't know that. They don't need to know that either. And you're stuck with me for as long as I blog or vice versa. But please don't drop off into the unknown like a lot of bloggers without SOME WAY to keep in contact...

    I love Carrie's blog name by the way! And if she wants some help setting up on self-hosted WordPress I can help! (Though it'll be a learning process and she'll be my guinea pig.)

    Sam is an absolute source of inspiration and I aspire to post as she does while balancing life; it is some magic she's doing to the blog and handle adulting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so...why are you listed as "Unknown"? It's still a Blogger profile, only it says it's not available...? For a moment I thought an anonymous spammer had managed to get to my blog even if I had the anonymous comments disabled LOL.

      Don't worry, the crown is yours to keep πŸ˜‰.

      The follow-for-follow thing makes sense when you're just starting and basically a blogging nobody LOL. After that...it's a little sad. I mean, I don't judge anyone who does it, but when you've become an active member in the community, you usually settle for something realer - and if that means having 10 followers instead of 1000, so be it.

      LOL, you know I like to joke. You're still doing wonders with the time and energy you have. We all do, regardless of the number of posts we put forth.

      I will blog till the time of my demise! I swear I won't drop off, but if I did...erm, it would mean the demise has come. I'm so morbid LOL.

      I expect Carrie to stop by, so she will probably read your message, but I'll let her know anyway - thank you! I don't know what her plans are about self-hosting though.

      We all want to be Sam! I keep asking her what her secret is, but she doesn't seem to have any. If you ask me, she's one of triplets who blog by turns 🀣.

      Delete
  2. "Karen is my oldest blogging friend" - both in time blogging and age. Ha!

    You know I love you back & so happy we crossed paths and have an unlikely friendship (due to our extremely different tastes in...everything lol)

    A few of your picks are favorites of mine as well - Hi Lindsi!!!!


    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quote: "both in time blogging and age. Ha!".
      I didn't want to be the one to say that...😜

      "Unlikely" is the word LOL. It would probably be awkward for us to meet, but on the net this thing works...then again, maybe we would bond over different things, more basic than book tastes or stuff like that.

      I meet Lindsi through you!

      Delete
    2. Hi Karen!!! Yes, Karen was our lovely link. <3

      Delete
    3. Just doing my job - lol

      Delete
    4. Great job! πŸ˜‰

      (And "I MET Lindsi" urgh).

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for mentioning us!! I know and love most, if not all, of the blogs you mentioned, and I love how you highlighted why you love them/us, instead of just making a simple list. Sam's blog in particular is so awe-worthy to me - she posts a lot, and quality posts at that, and reads A LOT, I don't think I could ever do all that she does haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mentioning you was a given, my dears!

      Sam puts us all to shame LOL. I mean, not that she does it on purpose - she's such a friendly soul.

      Delete
  4. Ahh... thanks for the kind words. There are several bloggers I know and love on your list, and many I need to get to know. I will bookmark this post and start exploring! Thanks for being a part of TMST and sharing such a great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual, thank you for putting TMST together...and always being supportive of your fellow bloggers! I hope you find some new-to-you blogs to follow on here.

      Delete
  5. You're on my list too!
    I've got a post all about library life half done! Today's experience definitely made it on the list, and I will tease you with a single word: lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Lemon in the library? 😲 It's a nice alliteration, if anything! πŸ˜‚ Looking forward!

      Delete
  6. That broken washing machine fiasco will haunt me until the end of my days. ;) I don't know what's worse... the giant ants, scorpions, washing machine replacement, or when the water was flooding back into the laundry room. It's always fun to talk about it!

    I do love to post detailed replies, because I LOVE talking to other people about books. It doesn't matter if we agree or not! And thanks for mentioning my DNF&Y post, which I need to go finish right now...

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? πŸ’¬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your life is one big adventure LOL. Of course, it's also the way one looks at it...I mean, you always manage to find the funny angle in the not-so-funny things!

      DNF & Y IS mention-worthy πŸ˜‰. It's quite unique, in what you're never snarky, and you manage to write detailed reviews even for books you didn't finish!

      Delete
  7. I'm not familiar with most of these blogs but 'we live and breath books' is on my blogroll reading list. And my own blog - thanks for mentioning me and my blog.

    Have you notice most, well, all of the bloggers on your list are female? That's not surprising because it seems there are more female bloggers than male, at least, it seems to me. Even my own blogroll has more female than male but I don't know if that's just a coincidence? Of course, it's also possible that I
    unconsciously gravitates toward female bloggers and maybe book bloggers as well.

    I want to recommend a blog or two but it just seems hard not to make a long list so if you want to, you can check out my blogroll on my blog marked 'bookmarks.'

    I'll check out the blogs on your list but I think I have way too many blogs on my reading this.

    Have a lovely day.

    P.S., I really do not write long comments often but for some reason, whenever I read your blog, I want to write long comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that all the bloggers on my list are female is due to the book blogging community being mostly comprised by female bloggers...or so it seems! It bugs me a little, to be honest. Where are the boys/men? Don't they like to read AND write? Of course there's Greg (one of Karen's friends), but he's the only male (book) blogger I know of. I bookmarked your bookmarks (LOL), and I hope to be able to follow some of those bloggers, as I mean to reach out to the ones the other TMST participants recommended, but time is so scarce.

      Quote: "I really do not write long comments often but for some reason, whenever I read your blog, I want to write long comments."
      That makes me happy and a little proud! πŸ’—

      Delete
  8. I'm here because I saw We Live & Breath Books post and this is just SO SWEET. I actually don't follow a lot of the blogs you shared so I'm excited to go check them all out! I love the blogging community :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly! Pleased to meet you! I'm slowing making my way through all of Sam's recommendation too (and a bunch from other blogging friends). I'm heading to your blog now!

      Delete
  9. I think this might be my first time here, but I love this post. I know most of these bloggers, although there are a couple that are new to me. Bookwyrming, Lindsi, Karen, Sam and Kristin are all favorites of mine, and Clockwork is fairly new to me but I love visiting her blog. Oh and Lissa is amazing too. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg! Pleased to meet you - even more since you're a friend of Karen's, and come highly praised and recommended! πŸ˜‰
      Our community is quite tight, isn't it? πŸ˜€

      Delete
  10. Awwh, thank you so much for the lovely shoutout! I'm honored to be included in such great company, and those were such sweet words about my reviews. πŸ₯°

    Sigh. Tumblr has a wonderful book community, but it's a major fallback not to be able to communicate easily with other platforms. I think it's the social media aspect of it, since Tumblr is like a hybrid blogging/social media platform. I've really never seen anything else quite like it.

    My summer plan to expand to an independent platform didn't work out, but I'm thinking maybe January-ish. There's never anything to do in the dead of winter after the holidays are over. πŸ˜‚ Thank you so much (Hannah, I think? The Unknown is throwing me off!) for the lovely offer! I may pester you about that in a few months if I decide to go with WordPress. I've heard good things, but it looks complicated. I've never self-hosted before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quote: "those were such sweet words about my reviews. πŸ₯°"
      Those were well-deserved words πŸ˜ƒ.

      Seriously...Tumblr is not that worse than other hosting sites. I mean, you need a Google account to comment on Blogger, and Wordpress isn't particularly comment-friendly, though it comes with a few options - but for instance, I noticed that, in order to add a second comment to your comment (which I do sometimes, because of course πŸ˜‚), you need to logout and login again to your site of choice, or the comment doesn't post (unless this is a problem my browser has?). Also, I usually comment with Twitter, because commenting with Google doesn't work great...it only links to your profile, if I remember correctly - not to your blog (OF COURSE LOL).

      I'm sure Hannah could be of great help - she moved to WP a while ago, plus messing up with...erm...setting up sites is her thing 🀣 😜 (pssst...H...don't embarrass me LOL). AND FINALLY I'D BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON YOUR BLOG (I mean, I do it on GR of course, but that would be more fun!).

      Delete
    2. Oh, goodness. I guess every platform is going to have its drawbacks. Why do they have to make it so hard to communicate with each other?

      Haha, and I'd love the comments! <3 I'll get there.

      Delete
    3. Quote: "Why do they have to make it so hard to communicate with each other?"
      Competition...every one of them wants to dominate the blogging world!

      I'll start bugging you again in January 😜.

      Delete
  11. I love these posts because I tend to find new blogs to check out. It seems like there are tons and tons of bloggers these days - book bloggers and otherwise - and I want to meet more of them!!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm trying to do these days!

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...πŸ˜‰ And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day πŸ˜ƒ.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.