July 03, 2026

Offbeat Offline: June 2026


Welcome to Offbeat Offline, where I bring you up-to-date with what went on in my life during the month just gone, give you a sneak peek of my next shenanigans, and share my favourite posts of late!

What happened last month to yours truly? The heat hit, I read a ton and...a new and improved health problem arose, because of course. As you may remember, I'm fond of saying that uneventful months are welcome in my household, because if something happens, it's always bad. And, oh, look! Surprise surprise. Anyhow, more about that later. Let's start with the bookish stuff as usual...


📚 OVERBOOKED. I spent my hiatus reading and reviewing like a madwoman, which is counterintuitive, but oh well. Or maybe not, since I managed to build enough content for my blog to keep it going for a while without the pressure to have to do it for the current month. Also, I wanted to knock as many books as possible off my TBR list because it was starting to give me anxiety (not to mention, the summer is PACKED with new releases I'm interested in)...except I'd rather read at a leisurely pace in order to savour my books...so, either way, I can't win 🙁. I mean, I can still reread said books at some point, but I have so many now, it's getting harder and harder to find the time. Anyhow...at least this was a good reading month. So, here goes...

Approvals (0):

LOL, it's been a while since it last happened. It's probably for the best, though (see above...).

Reads (9):
  • The Whisper by Chelsea Iversen (Adult/YA, supernatural/mystery)
Both a psychological thriller and an intimate portrait of three women whose lives have been shaped by trauma and grief, and who come back together to finally find closure and make peace with their past. Come for the magic (and its different manifestations, and its twists you won't see coming), stay for the flawed, so very human characters rebuilding themselves and stumbling back to each other.
  • Temple Fall by R.L. Boyle (YA, supernatural)
A deliciously creepy, and at the same time heartbreaking, mix of elements - haunted house/liminal space (completed with temporal anomalies), fractured/mended friendship, found family, generational trauma, powers that work as a metaphor for dissociative disorder, and a complex, lovable main character - plus a very interesting twist on the Final Destination formula/Final Girl trope. A solid, entrancing, emotional story (full of lyrical passages, too) that deserves more recognition.
Don't be fooled by the Jumanji-like premise: TLC ia an atmospheric, whimsical and touching novel that tackles heritage/generational trauma/familial abuse, repressed memories, messy/toxic/all-consuming friendship, growing up and apart, learning to be your own person...oh, and transness, in a very honest, empathy-inducing way. I did appreciate how, while the girls' story gets closure, the ending extends beyond their experience, addressing the neverending cycle of being young and finding your tribe, but also having to evolve and leave a part of your teen self behind.
  • The Place Where They Buried Your Heart by Christina Henry (Adult, supernatural - backlist)
This is as much a coming-of-age-meets-found-family story as it's a cosmic-horror-centered one, and it succeeds on both counts. Then again...I'm ambivalent about the ending. I mean, on one hand, it's emotional and bittersweet, but it's also extremely rushed and anticlimactic. However, if you're looking for an evil/haunted-house story where the house is a character of its own, but you'd rather it had a dose of character development and a heart (no pun intended), TPWTBYH absolutely fits the bill.
Time loop meets locked-room mystery by way of the butterfly effect: the result is an entertaining, adrenalinic story (if with enough reflective/emotive beats) that, despite its premise, never gets repetitive. I have a few qualms about it (hence my rating)...BUT! the actual loop is very well done, and trying to beat it doubles nicely as a metaphor for choosing to face the future and not remaining prisoners of the same patterns in life. That's why STS will appeal both to adults who enjoy temporal paradoxes with an emotional layer, and teens who love action, mystery, coming-of-age and a pinch of romance.

  • We Hexed the Moon by Mollyhall Seeley (YA, supernatural/contemporary)
Underneath its exhilarating (and crazy) premise, WHTM has a lot to say about girlhood, the complexity and messiness of teen female friendship (and lesbian awakenings), being afraid of change yet wanting out of your own skin, leaving your teen self (and your tribe) behind at the end of high school, and processing that loss while turning over a new leaf. The ending is absurdist, harsh and emotional at the same time, with a late twist you won't see coming, but that ties in with the story beautifully (in the middle of all the mayhem and heartache, that is).
  • Inkpot Gods (Alchemical Journeys #4) by Seanan McGuire (Adult, supernatural)
In a double timeline, we're both treated to an insight into the life of Asphodel Baker (the first female alchemist, to whom a number of the series' protagonists owe their non-human existence) and introduced to Lilianne (a trans woman and a budding alchemist herself, whose life becomes entwined with the rest of the cast's). The book is a mix of necessary exposition and exciting, horror-soaked action, all the way to a game-changer that had me on pin and needles for the last installment...I mean, a two-year wait is torture!
Melancholic (with a touch of funny) and warm, with a lead who, albeit not a hero, strives to do the right thing, a strong supporting cast and a cool magic system that - while building on familiar tropes - brings lots of fresh elements to the table. Not to mention McGuire's peculiar brand of strong, evocative writing. Here's my old review.
  • Absent by Katie Williams (YA, afterlife/mystery - novella - reread [pub. 2013])
Three deceased teens stuck in their dying place (the school they all attended), a mystery to solve, and themes of forgiveness and acceptance. One of them finds a way to interact with the living, and wants to demonstrate that her death wasn't a suicide. In the process, she will discover startling and not-so-startling truths about her friends, living and dead - but ultimately, more than anything, she will grow as a person, if a dead individual can do that. Here's my old review.


Reviews (7):
  • The Whisper by Chelsea Iversen (see above).
Mini review to come later in the month.
Mini review on GR for now.
  • The L.O.V.E. Club by Lio Min (see above)
Mini review on GR for now.
Mini review on GR for now
  • Seconds To Spare by Rachel Reiss (see above)
Mini review on GR for now.
Mini review on GR for now
  • Inkpot Gods (Alchemical Journeys #4) by Seanan McGuire (see above)
Review to come.


Here are my scheduled reviews for this month:


Speaking of posts that aren't reviews, a reminder...the Tell Me Something Tuesday meme is on hiatus for the summer - it will return on the first week of September. I'll post the schedule as soon as there's one available. I've been toying with the idea of doing other non-review posts for a while, but I need to be in the right headspace for those. We'll see...


🏥 MURPHY'S LAW. So, I had my biennial mammogram screening, and...it didn't go well this time. I got a phone call FIVE WEEKS after the exam, telling me to go back in five days for a "recall". The worse thing is, you get the call from the appointment office, not the doctor's office - so you aren't given any explanation, which is terrifying. (BTW, I lately found out the reason for the delay - too many patients, too few doctors to examine the X-rays...🤬). Of course I went on the internet and learned that there can be many reasons for a recall, including unclear images, but still - I spent the next five days making a poor job of not freaking out. So, on Tuesday 23rd I went back, and I found out that there were 13 other women in the same situation as me, which made me feel a little better - I thought, hey, we can't all have "something bad", can we? I underwent a new (tridimensional) mammogram on the left breast, then the technician told me that the doctor would see me for an ultrasound. It's funny, because by then I was starting to relax (surely it's a lymph node, surely it's a calcification), but of course, me being me, it COULDN'T be that simple. The doctor informed me that I have a fibroadenoma (lump) of 0,66 inches 😮 (remember...there wasn't ANYTHING two years ago), and proceeded to perform a biopsy. She told me I would receive a call when the results were ready (hopefully in 10-15 days), and I asked her what were the chances of the lump being malignant. At that, she told me that she didn't think it was the case, so at least there's that - but of course, only the biopsy results will be able to rule the other option out. As soon as I got home I went on the internet again, and I got confirmation that fibroadenomata are usually a benign breast condition...but still. I guess they can be anything, or there wouldn't be any need for a biopsy. I guess they can mutate. I don't know. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook (I should get the results any day now), but still. And I'm like, why me, AGAIN? Didn't my life suck enough already? BTW, I haven't even told anything to my parents for now - my mom would worry herself sick (or, sicker than she already is). I hope I won't have anything to tell them in a handful of days (because if it's benign, I'll never address the thing).
Anyhow (please brace yourselves VERY TIGHT)...I didn't want to use a super-sad gif here, so, apropos of nothing, here are some silly selfies I took after getting my perm...I wanted to show you my hair, after talking your virtual ears off about it for so long 😉. Let's have a moment of levity...



🥵 IN THE OVEN. Apart from the health drama...we've had some weather drama. Around mid-June, the heat started to ramp up like a beast (by the end of the month, there were 30.5°C/86.9°F in my house 😫). So of course my deep-cleaning plans got derailed...again. And the cycle of cold cuts, (quick) pan-seared dishes, eggs, stuffed tomatoes and ice cream started anew (I shouldn't even eat ice cream, because you know - lactose. But, I can hear you say, sure there's lactose-free ice cream! Actually, nope. Not here, anyway. Only the non-dairy kind in, like, two flavours...neither of which I like).


Since I was on hiatus, I haven't blog-hopped at all in June, so I've got nothing 🙁. But I'm getting back in the game, so this section will be operative in my next monthly recap!

That's it for now. My next post will be up on July 11th, and it will be the review for Unnamed Bones I mentioned above. Unless I have bad health news before that date, in which case I'll let you know. If it's good, I won't bother with a separate post, but I'll cover it in my July monthly recap.

So, what were your highs/lows in the past month?

30 comments:

  1. I hope the test results come back that it's nothing to worry about. My daughter just had a mammogram for a lump too. Too much waiting.

    It's so nice to see you! I don't post a lot of pictures of myself either. I did post a couple of videos of myself a few days ago though. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzie didn't need another thing to worry about, did she? I hope all is OK for her too.

      It sounds like I missed all the excitement while I was away LOL. I might have to go back and look for those videos...

      Delete
    2. She's still waiting on the results. They might have to do a biopsy which means another referral that we have to wait for. Too much waiting.

      Delete
    3. This referral thing is insane. Especially in situation like these. I hope answers come fast.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry about another health scare and having to go through all that. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing. Yay for silly selfies though! Your perm looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the selfies, Roberta!😁 Good luck with the biopsy results, I have been through similar panic situations (not a biopsy but I did have to go back for an ultrasound several times) It's ridiculously stressful😥

    Looking forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - if only one could have the results more quickly...And gosh, going back for an ultrasound SEVERAL times sounds like an ordeal. I hope it won't be my new normal...

      Delete
  4. The wait is the worst part. I cannot believe how long you have to wait. My dad gets his results in like a day. They post them in an online portal and then the doctor will call or meet with him. We are just going to believe the doctor is right and everything is ok. Love the fun pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's because your dad has already been diagnosed? Go figure, I'll have to retrieve my results by hand when they come, regardless of their being positive or not. Or so I've been told. Anyhow, it's been 11 days already, but I guess Saturdays and Sundays don't count...

      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about all that health stuff. I think I'm the same and I would look things up on the internet. It's a bit dangerous to do because what you read can make you more worry. I hope it will turn out to be nothing. Nice hair on the selfies.

    I'm glad to hear you had a good reading month. I guess it's better to have a lot of books to read than to have none at all.

    The summer heat. It's here too. I've been rather lazy because of it. I would to use that excuse not to do things.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I hope it will turn out to be nothing. Nice hair on the selfies."
      Thanks!

      Most of the times we can only look stuff up on the net because doctors don't volunteer lot of info (or even do their best to dodge questions sometimes...). Personally, I can't worry more than I would if I had no info at all...

      Ha! The heat is a very valid excuse, actually. Like, I don't know about you, but I veritably can't function in this climate.

      Delete
  6. I've been called back for mammogram results, too! Many times over the years and had to go for ultrasound ever 6 months for one lump over three years. I now know that breast MRIs are the gold standard for lumpy breasts and get those regularly. Along with mammograms... My mom got breast cancer at 39 and died at 42yrs, so they worry. I do too, but I'm not as panicky after pushing the panic button so many times over the years (I'm 56 now). I hope your biopsy comes back quickly and that it's negative! Hope you get some relief from the heat, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! OMG, your mom was so young! I'm only a little older than you (I'll be 60 in December) and I've had a ton of different problems over the years, but this is a first. In my case, breast cancer doesn't run in the family, but you never know if it's going to start with you. The fact that one can be called back many times and never once have a malignant tumor makes me feel a tad better, but it's been 14 days from my biopsy now, and I'm starting to get fidgety...
      On a side note, I read that breast MRI is used "for high-risk patients, complex cases, and when we need more detail than a mammogram or ultrasound can provide", so I guess that's why the doctors chose that method for you.

      Delete
  7. Oh no about the lump :/ Wishing you the best!
    I remember having 30 inside one year. I lived in undies and spraying water on myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      "I lived in undies and spraying water on myself"
      😂 It's quite rare for you, so I guess you suffered even more because you're not used to it (on second thoughts, not like I've ever gotten used to it...).

      Delete
  8. I think we have something in common: reading. One of my favorite activities during my school break is reading books, especially book series about cooking and science fiction. I even have my own library at home. Reading is so much fun and is one of my favorite hobbies.

    A big hello from Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi fellow reader! I enjoy some sci-fi myself from time to time. Greetings from Italy!

      Delete
  9. Oh Roberta, I am sending ALL the good vibes your way. I hope you have heard back by now and that it is benign, but I hate that you're going through the stress of it all regardless.

    The pictures are fun, thanks for sharing them with us! Also, very excited to hear your thoughts about a bunch of these books, especially Unnamed Bones and Dead Thing Like Me, as they both have been on my radar. Just read your review for We Hexed the Moon, and I see we have similar thoughts, glad you liked it too! Hope July is treating you better ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard back yet...I guess "a couple of weeks" was wishful thinking on their part (and since it took them 5 WEEKS to get back to me the first time, I'm bracing myself for a long wait, which...🤬 😭).

      Thank you! 💚

      Delete
  10. Roberta - I LOVE the selfies. I can better understand your perm issues now that I see what you mean. Sorry for the health scare. I hope your results show nothing to worry about. And I hope you are staying safe during these hot days. We hear about all of the problems and deaths in Europe because very few places have air conditioning. We don't have central air, but we do have some room/window units. Although it rarely gets above 30C and usually down near 18C at night. Stay safe! Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - for everything. Ah, I want to live where you are! LOL. We could install window units, but I dread having things done at home while I'm in it AND having to clean after the workers...

      Delete
  11. Sending you all the best in hopes of good news on your results! The not knowing has got to be weighing on you, even if it sounds like the odds for good news are pretty high.

    You're looking great though!

    We've had quite the heat wave here in Texas, so I feel your pain on that. We've got a little trip to California planned soon to hopefully get a reprieve from the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I'm still waiting...I understand that there are too little doctors and to many patients, but this is getting ridiculous - especially since, in cases like these, time should be of the essence...

      "You're looking great though!"
      LOL, more like "unhinged", but thanks!

      I hope your trip brings you fun and a break from the merciless heat at least!

      Delete
  12. I love your selfies! So fun. And look at all the reading you got through on your hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - and yeah, I was on a mission 😉.

      Delete
  13. Those are great selfies and it's great to put a face with the blog! I'm sorry you are going through such a medical experience. I hope you finally get the good news you deserve. At least you got a lot read while you were off. I hope you loved Temple Falls as much as I did. I was on stay-cation last week and took a blog hiatus even though it wasn't planned so now I have so many reviews to catch up on. Glad to see you blogging again. I understand your need for breaks but I miss your blog when you are gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Actually, I'm going to have my answers tomorrow, for better or for worse - I'm currently trying to stay calm and hoping to get some sleep when I go to bed in a few minutes. Yeah, I loved Temple Fall! I only wish the secondary characters were better developed. I was wondering about you...I hope your stay-cation was nice and relaxing!

      "I understand your need for breaks but I miss your blog when you are gone!"
      You're too sweet 🥰.

      Delete
  14. I got a letter about an abnormal mammogram on a Friday - too late in the day to call - and the day before I was scheduled to go away for a week. I was a wreck. In that case it was technician error. But I've had two more recalls because I have dense tissue and many fibroids and they have to clarify what's happening. It's stressful!
    I don't know if you remember but I had those delayed results for my lung CT scan for the same reason. The turn around is supposed to be days but I had to wait over a month.
    YOUR FACE!!! HAPPY! You are both exactly how I pictured you yet different lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A technician error? 🤬

      As you already know, it tool them 3 weeks to get back to me with the results. These things can break you...Yep, I remember your CT scan report taking a lot, though I'm not sure if you told me the reason back then.

      LOL, that's not my face - it's my superhero mask (my superpower being craziness 😂).

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.