March 09, 2021

Tell Me Something Tuesday: Social Media: Love Them or Hate Them?

Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly meme created by Heidi at Rainy Day Ramblings in order to discuss a wide range of topics from books to blogging (and some slightly more personal matters thrown in for good measure). While Heidi is on an extended hiatus, there are five of us who are hosting it and providing the questions. The current team is composed of Berls at Because Reading Is Better Than Real LifeJen at That's What I'm Talking AboutKaren at For What It's WorthLinda at Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell and Roberta at Offbeat YA. This week's question is...

SOCIAL MEDIA: LOVE THEM OR HATE THEM?

I've only ever joined two social media sites in my life: Twitter and Facebook (if you don't count Goodreads, that doesn't exactly do a good job at being a social platform). Facebook was the first one I joined, a few years ago...I had an account in Italian, as a radio personality, except I didn't like it in there, since I only seemed to attract people who wanted to increase their friend number - so I bailed. Apart from all the recent controversy about it, FB doesn't have what I'm looking for in a social media. You can write a two-thousand-word rant and nobody will give it the time of day, so what's the use? At least on Twitter you're bound to throw less words to the wind LOL.

Now Twitter is the place to be for any book-lover. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's perfect for my necessities. I don't know if I'm lucky or if I just follow too little people to get wind of the latest drama, but in the 6 years I've been on there, I only got involved in a fight once, and for the record, it wan't book-related at all - it originated inside the Doctor Who fandom. I made the mistake to reply to one of those people who think their mission in life is to shove their sad little lessons no one asked for into everybody's mouth, and things escalated, as they always do. I've since stopped following all the DW account (I'm only following David Tennant ones), because when an outsider sticks their nose where it doesn't belong and tries to make you (and other people) small for being a fan of whatever, and the people who started/participated in the thread that person intruded on don't have your back/tell the aforementioned person where to stick it, they aren't worth the hair that clogs up your drains.

That incident aside, all my bookish friends are on Twitter (except Carrie, whom I met on Goodreads) and most of "my" authors are, and frankly? that's all I need from a social platform 👍.

I'll leave you (so to speak, because there's more below) with a humorous Doctor Who quote from the episode The Bells of Saint John, where a woman and her employer, the Great Intelligence, use the world's Wi-Fi to upload people to a datacloud. The Doctor says to Clara...

"This whole world is swimming in WiFi. We’re living in a WiFi soup. Suppose something got inside it. Suppose there was something living in the WiFi. Harvesting human minds. Extracting them. Imagine them." ...............


Here and there, Doctor Who is peppered with Facebook and Twitter jokes LOL.

Well, that's it for now. Did you enjoy this post? Would you like to participate in the meme on a regular or semi-regular basis, and get emailed the prompt list? Just head over here and fill in Jen's form! (Of course, you can jump in anytime you like - you are under no obligation to actually do all the posts, or even most of them, just because you signed up, and you can remove yourself from the list at any time). And if you're interested in participating in a more casual manner, or only in commenting, here is the TMST prompt list for the rest of March and the month of April:

  • March 16th: Does blogging cut into your other hobbies/chores? (a question I submitted)
  • March 23rd: How do you organize your bookshelves (real and virtual)?
  • March 30th: Have you ever thought of quitting blogging? What made you reconsider the idea? (a question I submitted)
  • April 6th: If you could live anywhere in the real world, where would you move?
  • April 13th: When is a book too long? (a question I submitted)
  • April 20th: Have you ever dreamed of becoming an author? (a question I submitted)
  • April 27th: What’s your blog-hopping strategy? (a question I submitted)

I'll be back on April 20th, despite a few of my prompts being on the table for the next weeks. I have too much on my plate right now (how many culinary metaphors LOL), namely ARCs to review and real life stuff, and I can't make the time to write whole posts to answers those questions. But if you want to know, in short...
  • Blogging doesn't cut into my other hobbies since I have none, but it does cut into my chores...
  • I organise my shelves by genres and/or author. Boring, I know 😉.
  • I've NEVER EVER thought of quitting blogging. It's my only outlet, and the only way for me to get to know people from everywhere and to make friends with them. I will die on this hill.
  • Where I live is OK for me - on a human scale. I only wish I could go see the world from time to time (which was already forbidden territory for me before the pandemic hit), and then I could go back home with a heart full of joy...
  • A book is only too long if it's boring 😉. Seriously, I've never encountered a book that was too long for my tastes yet.
Now tell me something...how many social platforms are you a member of? and are you happy with them? Are there any you signed off from?

28 comments:

  1. I have tried Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram but I didn't like them so I had quitted them all. I don't think they are for me as I'm a bit slow to respond to even blog posts. I've never got the hype about Facebook plus you have to use your real name and that's something I'm iffy about. Anything that requires your real name seems a bit much to me unless it's for business.

    The only social media I've enjoyed and still enjoying is blogging. It's not very popular but I find it's the only platform that I can go at my own pace and I don't have to deal with people that I don't want to. Like you, I don't think I'll ever quit blogging.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I've never got the hype about Facebook plus you have to use your real name and that's something I'm iffy about."
      Yeah, that's a real bummer. I do use my real name on my blog, but not my surname - and anyhow, it should be our choice. The net is awesome, but it can be a dangerous place.

      I noticed that you've been blogging more lately, and you do seem to enjoy it! I really hope you'll stick with it, whatever the pace you choose to go at 🙂.

      Delete
  2. I like social media. Now granted, I do have to watch to make sure I don't overdo it. I have a tendency to compulsively use social media, so it is important to set limits for myself. However, when I'm using it responsibly, I love twitter and Tik Tok. I only follow people on twitter who I know are not going to post offensive/problematic things, so that makes my timeline a pretty fun-loving place. I also like Tik Tok just because most of the videos on my page are cute animals, and that's always nice to see!

    I have Facebook for school, but I agree that most people just request to increase their friend count. People who I haven't talked to in years request to follow me, and it frustrates me so much. Like how did you even find me lol??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you managed to set limits for yourself and respect them. Scrolling can be addictive...It sounds like you have a curated Twitter timeline, like I have. Ah, yes, Tik Tok - you wrote a great post about BookTok, so I'm not surprised 🙂.

      I think the problem with FB is that pretty much everyone is on there, with their real name, so you're bound to stumble on that old school friend you haven't seen in ages, or that cousin who lives in another state, and at that point...for some reason, it seems mandatory to send them a friend request. I know I did, in my brief FB stunt. Twitter seems more of a "common interest" platform at least, even if we probably only talk with a tenth of the people we're mutuals with LOL.

      Delete
  3. I used to enjoy Twitter, but it got too toxic during the election and lockdown. Even with a billion muted words and muted people, the garbage still got in. Once upon a time, I spent a lot of times chatting with people on Goodreads. I miss those days. All these other platforms kind of drew people away, and it really was the purest place for book talk. FB is just a cesspool. I gave up on that platform back in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I don't mind getting a pulse of what happens around me via Twitter, but I understand it can be hard for other people. Goodreads could be a great shelter for all the booklovers if it actually curated the social media aspect...I mean...it's pretty basic, and you can't see any changes in your page/stream if you don't refresh the page itself. FB...haha, I'm sure you got it right ahead of time.

      Delete
  4. Back in the day (I joined in 2009) Twitter was so much fun. We chatted about silly things - there we no (few?) politicians and lots of authors and readers. I miss that. But it's still about the best place to talk to other like-minded people without having to go onto a private platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 12 years is a long time - twice the time I've been on there LOL. Alas, everything tends to get "corrupted" with time...it comes with the popularity. But at least we still get to chat with authors and other readers!

      Delete
  5. Yay Twitter! I like that I can pop in and out of it without being too worried haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short, sweet and true! 😂 It sums it up so well.

      Delete
  6. Facebook is dead to me lol I hate it there.

    I know twitter can also be very toxic but I mostly cut all that from my feed and for some reason I'm able to ignore it.

    And oddly, I don't want to talk non stop about any topic so Goodreads is not somewhere I go and I try to keep my SM really mixed so it's not all one thing.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A curated feed is everything, though it doesn't guarantee that you stay away of garbage or unwanted topics. But at least it limits your exposure...

      LOL, that's so you.

      Delete
  7. I like social media I use Twitter the most, then FB and IG. I hardly go on IG, I just don't care for it all that much. I have some longtime friends on FB as well as family. If anyone starts hate speech or getting stupid on either Twitter or FB I just block them. I don't have time to be nice. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I don't have time to be nice. lol"
      Nice is wasted on certain people LOL.

      Delete
  8. I must take your advice and makes lists, maybe then I will have more books and less politcs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twitter is a mess to navigate without lists. Sometimes I do scroll aimlessly for a while, and I don't mind a dose of reality, but lists make sure you only hear from trusted people, or about topics that do interest you...

      Delete
  9. I like Twitter- it definitely my favorite social media platform even if I don't tweet enough!

    Ooh you're a Dr Who fan! I've been thinking for a long time of trying that show :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more of a lurker than a tweeter myself LOL. I do promote blog content and engage in conversations with blogging friends, but I don't write lots of tweets myself.

      I thought everyone knew I was a DW junkie by now LOL. Though, well...since they turned the Doctor into a woman (and retconned their past), the show lost part of its appeal for me. That alone would need a whole blog post to explain...Anyhow, it's a great show, especially the Tennant (🤩) and Smith eras (I do like Capaldi a lot though). How come a sci-fi lover like you never watched it?!? You need to make amends! 😂

      Delete
    2. I'm the smae, I guess. A lurker. :)

      I might have but maybe forgot. And I know! It seems like a natural! I guess maybe growing up it was a Brit show and I never had access to it? Not sure! I should try it though for sure. I love the sound of.

      Delete
    3. It's a Brit show that plays worldwide! More or less LOL. In the U.S., it was broadcast by the Sci Fi Channel and then BBC America. I'm not sure about the newer episodes though (maybe it's on some streaming service as well?). And I'm talking about the modern era of course, 2005-present...I wouldn't know about the original series (BTW, I read that only a few episodes have been dubbed for Italy when I was a teen).

      Delete
  10. Wow only two! Those are the same two I've mostly participated in, though I no longer use FB. Now it's pretty much just Twitter for me too. Idk what it is about GR that makes it so not conducive to actually being social. Because it really ought to be great to have a place to connect with people over specific books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you're on Twitter, and your art and your wildlife are always welcome! 😉

      The problem with GR is that it isn't flexible at all - mainly, that you have to refresh the page to see any change, who's posted what in the meantime...it's a pity (though I do have a friend I talk with on GR all the time, but it's probably because she isn't on Twitter and has a Tumblr, that is, a blog I can't comment on...).

      Delete
  11. I have been on a range of social media and because I create on so many places I decided to narrow it down at some point. I don't use facebook or pinterest. I'm only active on twitter, instagram and youtube. As well as my blog. Which takes up enough of my time. And I'm careful with monitoring and dividing my time on both. I have also never gotten into any twitter fights! Sometimes I have words to say about drama but instead settle for thinking it because I don't want to get dragged into drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Youtube is the most time-consuming! Filming videos and editing them must require lots of energy, too. It makes sense that you're only on 3 (plus blog), and seriously, you must share your secret recipe for keeping up one day 😉.

      "Sometimes I have words to say about drama but instead settle for thinking it because I don't want to get dragged into drama."
      The sad thing is, no one listens, even if you approach them respectfully...Sometimes it's hard to hold your tongue, but very much necessary for your peace of mind!

      Delete
  12. I use facebook, but not for the blog, rather for my real life. Not only do I use facebook messenger to message my Hungarian friends, but because it's very popular in Hungary, it has also been necessary to use at multiple points in my life. For example, during high school and my BA studies it was really important to be a part of the facebook group of the class / course, because a lot of information was being shared over there. Similarly, my mom created a facebook account when they set up a group for parents on facebook (during high school) and they were communicating there about finances and other information that was mostly the business of the parents.

    As for blogging, I have used instagram and twitter - I honestly hate both of them (I hate facebook too, lmao, but that's so useful for messaging and even calling people) but I can bear twitter to share my posts and also to chat with a few bloggers. Great post, Roberta! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of sucks that FB was/is mandatory for your studies...especially since it's the worst when it comes to privacy.

      I'm glad that you can "bear Twitter" LOL.

      Delete
  13. I used to be EXTREMELY active on social media back in the day - I think it was around 2016 after school things and the election then and just everything after that I've been on social media less (outside of lurking of course). But really the only ones I use actively are Facebook (more like just checking on updates and that's it), Instagram (kind of but it's just too much energy to blog AND be on Instagram actively), Pinterest (sometimes I need ideas for bullet journaling), and Twitter (mostly RTs with automated stuff).

    Surprisingly I've thought about quitting blogging a few times especially with book bloggers constantly getting shat on and thrown under the bus in regards to opportunities, but mainly because I just want to nap all the time. But do I do it? Nah. I think it's for the same reasons as you but also I've blogged for nearly half my life? It feels weird to actually let that go honestly.

    ANYWAYS GOOD MORNING ROBERTA. Just when you thought it was silent on my end. 😝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media do take energy, unless you decide they're just a stop (or more than one 👀) during your daily routine and not necessarily a way to promote your blog/site...

      "I've blogged for nearly half my life? It feels weird to actually let that go honestly."
      Uh. That's a valid enough reason LOL. No, seriously. And I understand your frustration (also your need for naps 😉), but then again...I embraced blogging as a way to communicate, so I don't care that much about being rejected for books or being thrown under that bus. Of course, there are less review opportunity for those of us who can't afford to buy all the books or can't check them from a library, and less ARCs, and less "success". But personally, I made peace with that a long time ago. If anything, I think it's a shame that some groups aren't given the same chance to grow as privileged people. Maybe the fact that I personally don't care about certain things only shows that, even with the handicap of not being able to afford all the books and having to rely on other means to get them, I am, in fact, privileged...

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.