June 02, 2019

Tooting Your Trumpet #1

Hello sweeties! and welcome to my new post series, in which, once a month, I intend to share a few articles/sites that piqued my interest. I know that most of you are doing it already in The Sunday Post, but since I don't participate in the meme, I thought I'd create my very own. So here goes the first installment of...


Some people toot their own trumpet. I mean to toot yours. On the first Sunday of every month, I'm sharing your posts, your sites, anything interesting I stumble upon during my internet vagrancies. This month on TYT...
  • PROJECT CANVAS (a collaborative book that my blogging friend Hannah wrote a piece for)
  • WORDY AND WHIMSICAL (new blog!)
  • THE MEMORY OF RAIN (a blog you might not be familiar with yet...)
  • DOES READING YA MAKE YOU A BETTER/MORE EMPATHETIC PARENT? (a discussion post on Karen's blog For What It's Worth)
Please note: all the graphics featured in these posts are property of the blog/site owners, and are only used in association with their blog/site links.

***

Project Canvas (book) - edited by Caroline Meek, with contributions by Hannah Sophia Lin and others


My friend Hannah Sophia - who blogs over at Bookwyrming Thoughts - features in a collaborative book brimming with advice for writers and bloggers, whose blurb goes:
"An international writing community. 61 authors. 11 countries. 6 continents. Are you looking for advice on how to create the perfect villain? Do you need the courage to put your story down on paper? Find this and more in Project Canvas, a writing resource written completely by teen and young adult writers and compiled by Caroline Meek and Olivia Rogers. Project Canvas includes: 71 short chapters, each written by a different author; bonus interviews with authors such as Tessa Emily Hall and Q. Gibson; world building and character development worksheets; and other helpful resources!"
Hannah contributed with an article called "Scheduling Posts". The book came out in November, but since this is my first TYT post, I thought I'd share it nevertheless.

***

Wordy and Whimsical (site) - by Veronika, Ruzaika and Clare


The dynamic trio behind the long established The Regal Critiques blog just recently moved from Blogger to Wordpress and started a new adventure! In the very blog's owners words, "at its core, W&W is a book blog, however, we have been wanting to broach out a little and share more of ourselves with you, which is what the “and more” bit refers to. [...] Wordy and Whimsical means to be a less stressful endeavor for us and a place for our readers and blogger friends to connect with us in an environment that feels warm and welcoming, regardless of race, religion, gender or sexuality". What are you waiting for? Visit these three lovely ladies and give them a follow! You won't regret it 😉.

***

The Memory of Rain (site) - by Lissa


Lissa is a recent blogging friend of mine, whose posts always feature her lovely, offbeat and colourful art. She also likes books and quotes...and writes short fiction. Visit her blog and say hi by any means - or you can buy her pieces via her Society6 shop.

***

Does Reading YA Make You a Better/More Empathetic Parent? (discussion post) - by Karen


This is an interesting question that I've never seen anybody ask before! I'm not a parent, but I do believe that, growing up, we sadly loose touch with a part of ourselves that might help us dealing with our kids - or kids in general. So I encourage you to head to Karen's blog and try to answer her question - or simply read what her and her other commenters have to say!

***

That's all for now folks! See you the first Sunday of every month for more!

26 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the shout out, and I love this idea, and can't wait to see future posts like this. :) I'll make sure to check everything and everyone mentioned here next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (AAAARGH, I accidentally deleted Karen's comment, but I retrieved it from my email account! She said...)

      I love the title of this feature. It's so catchy!

      I used to spotlight at least one blogger in my Friday 5 posts but it's been so long since I've done anything with any regularity lol

      Thank you for spotlighting - or tooting your trumpet - for my post :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! It took me a little thinking to find the right title LOL. I was toying with a different way to say "blowing your trumpet", something that would sound less trivial - and thanks to Google, I found a different version of the old saying that involved a nice alliteration 😉.

      You know me...I work better with a schedule - while I know you, and you definitely don't 🤣 😉. So I wouldn't worry if I were you - you have your ways to spotlight people (like retweets), and they don't need to be regular.

      It was a pleasure!

      Delete
  3. I saw Karen's post about parenting and reading YA! I have it bookmarked, so I'll get to it later today/tonight. It depends on how late the little monsters keep me up. They're napping right now, which is how I'm able to blog for bit. I do like the idea for this post! It's always fun to share what other people are doing around the blogosphere, especially the things that stand out to us for one reason or another. :)

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to give something back to my friends, especially since I don't always have the time to comment myself...

      Looking forward to your addition to Karen's parenting post!

      Delete
    2. Hey, sometimes we just don't have time! I try to comment on other blogs at least once a week, but it doesn't always work. We do the best we can. :)

      Delete
    3. Yep...and boy, are we busy and tired sometimes. LOL.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you for validating my little effort!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely idea! I look forward to seeing some posts from others that I can check out. I've found some of my favourite bloggers this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a new idea, but since other bloggers do the same thing in their Sunday Post, which I don't participate in, I thought I could do my monthly version of it. I basically needed an excuse to give my people (or things that I find interesting) a shout-out, and to make up for not always being able to comment LOL.

      Delete
  6. Aww Roberta, this is awesome! Also thanks for featuring moi and Project Canvas! 😁 (I'm cringing just a little on some of the piece, but oh well, I HAVE GROWN MAJESTICALLY. But of course.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! So you'll just have to write another piece that I can feature 😂 😉.

      Delete
    2. *can't tell if I should be insulted by the implication that my current pieces aren't awesome or not 😂 (I feel so attacked)*

      Delete
    3. This sounds like a catch-22...😱

      Delete
  7. This is a lovely new feature! I'm excited to see what else you've found in your wanderings. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurry up and get your new site done, and I'll feature you as well! 😉

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh, I haven't even started! 😂 It's been a zoo around here lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you didn't. But you have a fan waiting for it, so please start building its foundations at least! 😂

      Delete
  9. This is such a great idea and such a lovely shoutout, Roby! Thank you so much <33 Can't wait to see what you do with this feature in the future...and knowing you, it's bound to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this new series. I like finding new blogs and new things to linger over. And it's a great that you're highlighting things that we may not otherwise know about. I used to browse people's blog list or reading list but few people make them now or they do not update as I do.

    Project Canvas sounds good but if only they have done this years before when I was looking for such thing. But I guess it doesn't hurt to read the book now.

    I actually have been reading 'The Regal Critiques' for a long while and knew they have moved. And I felt they shouldn't have moved but people change and move on so I don't blame them. I have always admired duo or group blogs because it takes a lot work to work with someone than doing it by yourself.

    Well, I'm not a parent but I do believe everyone should read but I also believe books are very helpful if not amusing. I often heard about parents reading with and to their child which could make them better parents but I don't know.

    I feel a bit odd for getting any type of publicity but then I remember this is a good thing, so thank you for putting me on your list.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying this new meme! I hope to be able to advertise a few interesting (and new to you) blogs/posts/items.

      LOL, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, but I hope you'll ultimately find it nice to be in the spotlight 😉. Which reminds me...I have several of your posts bookmarked...I've run tight on time lately (especially since my latest WE was consumed by poll duty), but I'm going to make amends soon!

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.