December 14, 2016

Fifty Shades of Life

My dear friends, my occasional readers,

there's no way to break the news gently, so I'll just drop the bomb and run: I'm turning 50 today.


Okay...most of you were already aware of my age, with more or less accuracy. The thing is, every time the first number of said age changes, it feels like a big deal - even when the second was a 9 already. Also, 50 is, well, kind of imposing. I'm not saying "scary" on purpose, because well...I'm not scared, to tell you the truth. I don't even look 50 - except maybe when I'm really tired (regardless of having my make up on). I'm beginning to have eyesight trouble when reading small print, and I have a few minor health problems, AND I tire easily - but all that comes with the package. I'm just...well, sad that I've come so far and still I have accomplished nothing in life (maybe one day I'll explain to you how and why, but for now rest assured I'm not whining...just telling it like it is). BUT I made this blog...and as small as it is, I'm proud of it. And I met a few great people through it, both authors and blogging friends. Some of them are 30 years younger than me, but they get me on so many counts - or gladly put up with me at least 😉. Not to mention, they keep me young...they're like my hyaluronic acid, at least for the inside 😜. Yes, YOU. I mean YOU.


So, I had plans for celebrating my big fifty on the blog with some cute and/or funny event, except I failed at it...like I failed at everything this year, blog-wise. Now, with "everything" I mean writing an acceptable number of posts and engaging more with the blog community - I have been talking with the same old friends, which is great, don't get me wrong, but I meant to broaden my horizons a little, and instead...gosh. Time. Issues that kept gnawing at it. And fatigue. This is only my 35th post this year, and how many of them were reviews? I'm afraid to look. So...I don't know. I want to keep blogging. I want to blog more and better. I just need to find a way to do that. I hope my life will revert to normality next year (and "normality" still was stressing enough), but even if it doesn't...I'm not quitting. I just need to find a balance. For now...please put up with me, you wonderful people 😘.

16 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Roberta! I’ve only recently follow your blog, and you come across as a very positive and energetic person. I like your blog, so please don’t stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It means so much to me *sheds happy tears*. And despite my difficulties, I'm not stopping any time soon!

      Delete
  2. BUT ROBERTA. I'M LIKE 31 YEARS YOUNGER.

    I should kidnap you as my mom, XD.

    Also if it makes you feel better... I didn't review too much this year either. (I look in my sidebar and May and June are like the worst months for me blogging wise. You know, real life in regards to that one person who I actually crossed paths with about a month ago... Okay, wow. That's been awhile. How the heck did that come up.)

    Really, most of my posts were done by the trial run peeps, Novel Newcomers, Fangirl Friday, or just random things like entertaining GIFs. And then maybe I'll go schedule everyday for the last 12 days of 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure you would like me as a mom ;D. Though I'm so cool, aren't I? Oh, sure. LOL, never mind.

      Yes, I'm aware it was a tricky year for you too, though for different reasons of course. But boys shouldn't be allowed to be one of them. How dare they interfere with your blogging life? ;D

      Delete
    2. I have no clue, but I blame emotions. Because you know... EMOTIONS ARE THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE.

      Delete
    3. I'm sure you're not alone LOL. But you'll strike a balance eventually ;).

      Delete
  3. Happy belated Birthday :) And don't worry, the higher the numbers the more cool you become lol. Plus given all the YA books... you're definitely still a teen at heart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! Both your statements were very uplifting ;).

      Delete
  4. OH NO WHAT AN AWFUL FRIEND I'VE BEEN ROBY I MISSED YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please forgive me, and accept my wishes for a happy belated birthday and a truly kickass year ahead- just as kickass as you are! You are one of the very few people in the blogosphere who has always, always been there for me (and Vera, and The Regal Critiques in general) and your support means THE WORLD to us. So thank you, for being you and for being awesome at it! We love, love, love you and we love, love, love your blog- so please don't ever abandon us! And WOW- 50 is AMAZING- I really can't quite wrap my head around your age (even after all this time) and I can only hope I'll have half the energy to do all you do when I'm fifty. So, so, so proud of you- and WHAT DO YOU MEAN you have accomplished nothing? Please. This blog stands testimony to how awesome you are and don't you EVER try to downplay it. I'd happily kill you if I catch you saying anything like that again.

    PS: And again, I'm SORRY I missed your birthday- I was just in a kind of slump these days and gave up on Twitter for sometime, which is probably how I missed your big day. I don't know when I'll feel up to being back, but I will when I will. I still am blogging though, so that's something :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I cry just a little? As a matter of fact, it's fortunate that you weren't around 4 days ago, because I really needed a boost today. Thank you for being you as well, and for spreading the love when I most need it! :-* I'm even feeling a little kickass for real now ;D.

      P.S.: don't worry, I noticed you weren't on Twitter these days - I thought you and Vera were busy plotting something together, since she was M.I.A. too ;).

      Delete
    2. Oh I feel much better about being late now :P Please do know that my DMs are always open, if you ever feel like venting or anything! <3
      Haha, I wish we were! Vera is just busy with uni, exams and stuff :D

      Delete
    3. Thank you hon! :-*

      Poor Vera. Well, I just happened to notice you were both absent at the same time, so I thought there was a pattern in that LOL.

      Delete
  5. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, ROBY!! I've only just turned 20, BUT FIFTY ISN'T A LOT EITHER. My mom is actually older and she's absolutely wonderful, strong and cool, SO DON'T WORRY, age will NEVER dull your spark. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! though life is doing its best to lately.

      Thank you sweetie - and I'm so happy to hear you have such an amazing mum. Does she want to coblog? ;)

      Delete
  6. Buon compleanno Roberta!!! Happy belated birthday! I am extremely happy I got to know your young soul. You are an amazing human being!! You have accomplished a lot. Woman, just surviving for 50 years in this world and not going insane is enough. Don't get me started on the adult life, which btw is a nightmare. Also I too failed at my blog this year, at least we are failures together! :D Also, happy Holidays! Hugssss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Young soul" - I love it :D. Thank you!

      And I hope we can both have a better year in 2017, ALSO blog-wise. I'd definitely love to see more of you :). Hugs and Happy Holidays to you too!

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.