May 05, 2016

Spicing Up Stuff...

A very short post, my beauties. For once :).

I came up with a small change in my review routine. Well, it sort of came up by itself, to be honest. Upon closing my series review for the wonderful Dark Passages by Ilsa J. Bick, I realised that it was the longest I had ever written - and I DO write long ones, all the time. I don't usually incorporate gifs into my reviews, but in this case, I thought I'd use a few in order to break it down...until I realised that it would be next to impossible to find the right ones before the turn of the decade or so. Which left me with another option - breaking down my review with headings. I am reasonably happy with the result (oh, who am I fooling, I'm damn proud of it LOL), so I decided to apply headings to all my future reviews - starting with the Deadgirl: Ghostlight ARC review on May 9th. Maybe I can come up with some clever headings that will draw more attention to my posts - maybe I'll just be able to make said reviews easier on the eyes, which is a small improvement in itself (because I'm physically unable to write shorter reviews. Go ahead and torture me, I can't).


I also have to thank Erin Callahan for her appreciation of my headings, which gave me a boost in this direction. By the way, if you don't know Erin, your loss - but luckily, I'm here to fix this :). She's the co-author of the Mad World series, and she's also about to do a major break in the publishing industry with her first solo project (that I beta-read, so you can trust me on this!)...not only, but she's a blogger herself too, and her observations about pop culture and insights into a part-time writer's life are always fresh and funny - not to mention interesting. So please go ahead and say hi! fellow writers or readers, you're welcome :).

I might have other ground-breaking ideas for my reviews in the future, but it's all for now ;). Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the shout-out! And I'm so glad I helped solidify this new direction. Though I don't necessarily use headings, I always find that breaking my writing up into chunks helps me organize my thoughts. It can also make a big project seem so much more manageable. Looking forward to the Deadgirl: Ghostlight review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a reader and a fan, even if you are the writer here! :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes trying a new review style can breathe new life into your blog (or at least your feelings about blogging). I like it best when my blogging doesn't feel like work, which is why I do the short and tweet reviews sometimes.

    Looking forward to see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I agree, and I might try other small things in the future...first of all, finding a blogging routine that doesn't feel like routine LOL.

      Delete
  3. Mixing up or trying new review styles helps me so much. My favorite that I've tried is the Speed Date review but for some reason I can't do them for every book O_o I have to have a date type feeling lol

    Bloggers are weird lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't done a Speed Date for awhile, have you? Those were fun.
      I feel the need to review every book in the same style...maybe that's weird too ;D.

      Delete
  4. Oooh yes- changes are always welcome, and this one sounds great! Good going, Roby! Hope you find writing reviews even more exciting now :D I'm off to check out your latest review now *scarpers away*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a small thing really, but I think it may be both useful for the reader (because it breaks the review down) and fun for me to do (because I'll have to find all those clever - ? - titles...).

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.