September 05, 2024

Sarah Hollowell: "What Stalks Among Us"

Title: What Stalks Among Us [on Amazon | on Goodreads]
Series: None
Author: Sarah Hollowell [Site | Goodreads]
Genres: Supernatural, Contemporary
Year: 2023
Age: 14+
Stars: 4.5/5
Pros: Spectacular premise that delivers all along. Lots of (often literal) twists and turns. Powerful friendship dynamic. Fat rep. Addresses lots of important topics (see the WARNING! section).
Cons: A couple of plot points ended up being red herrings of sorts or getting no explanations.
WARNING! (TW list provided by the author): Physical, emotional, and psychological abuse; aspects of abuse including victim blaming, isolation, manipulation, and gaslighting; mental illness (depression, anxiety, PTSD), self-harm (cutting), death, violence (gunshots, stabbing, strangulation), gore and body horror.
Will appeal to: Those who are in for a time-looping supernatural mystery with a strong contemporary core.

Blurb: Best friends and high school seniors Sadie and Logan ditch their end-of-year field trip to the amusement park in favor of exploring some old, forgotten backroads. The last thing they expect to come across is a giant, abandoned corn maze. When they stumble on the corpses in the maze, identical to them in every way (if you can ignore the stab and gunshot wounds) they quickly realize they’ve not only entered this maze before, they’ve died in it too. A lot. And no matter what they try, they can’t figure out what - or who - is hunting them. (Amazon excerpt)

Review: I requested this book on NetGalley last year to no avail. It turns out that (regardless of my small following, that might very well have been the reason for the rejection) I was a potential champion for it all along, because I kept it on my radar, I ultimately read it all the same and I loved it! (It doesn't hurt that it matches my blog aesthetic so well LOL).

A-MAZE ME

You know that feeling when a book has got an exciting premise, except the story doesn't make it justice? Well, nothing of the sort happened here. What Stalks Among Us (genius title, BTW) delivered on all counts, keeping me on my toes with all the twist and turns of the plot and the setting alike. I was invested in the mystery and the outcome (plus other aspects that I'll talk about later), but regardless, navigating the maze was a ton of fun in itself, a never-ending source of surprises and exhilarating moments. Also, the maze had a timey-wimey quality that I dug a lot, with intersecting temporal planes and even a number of loops - not to mention, it sometimes reacted to its visitors' (or better, prisoners') presence in very specific ways. I have to admit that not every one of the labyrinth's peculiarities made complete sense (neither did its genesis - knowing what I know now, I would have expected something different than a corn maze at the very least): e. g., I'm not sure how two instances of the same character could coexist, since it seemed at odds with the premise, and Sadie's connection to the maze and the significance of the sheep skeleton were never explained (though I have a theory about the former...but then again, it's contradicted by what happened with another character). But on the whole, the worldbuilding was well-executed and full of interesting angles (and paths...and more angles...see what I did here? 😉). [...]

AROUND THE CORN(ER)

For a novel so heavy on the supernatural, WSAU sure packs a punch when it comes to the contemporary aspect. There's a lot of (often intersectional) rep - mainly in the form of a fat, bi female protagonist with PTST and anxiety, and a bi, East Asian male protagonist with his own baggage. Different kinds of abuse are discussed/focused upon, and at least in one instance, shown. Friendship is a driving force, and I found it both refreshing and heartwarming to read a story centered on two teens who share a deep bond without the mandatory romantic attachment. And if we get hit over the head a bit with the messages from time to time, it's not a bad thing at all in a book aimed at the younger crowd, who will, hopefully, take something away from it that they may need. There's a lot of self-growth on the characters' part, mostly reflected by Sadie's inner monologue/dialogue, but it's only fit for this kind of story that there would be more telling than showing, and I barely noticed it until I sat down to write this review. Not all the conversations are relevant or well-placed - for instance, the dig at Supernatural as "weird CW shows that should have ended, like, ten years before they did" sounds more like a criticism on the author's part than something the characters would say. But on the whole, WSAU is a remarkable combination of fun, intriguing, fast-paced horror and strong coming-of-age themes that will have many teens (and even adults) feel seen - a Halloween (but really, all-year-appropriate) read with teeth and a heart.

For more Supernatural books click here.
For more Contemporary books click here.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds a MAZE ing! The corn maze alone makes me want to read it, and add in the timey stuff and I'm hooked! Awesome review😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you miss it last year? LOL. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that I've already put in a request for this one on Libby. Hoping I can get in October at it sounds perfect for the Halloween season. Corn mazes always terrify me and this book might solidify the reasons I have never went in one. Sounds like it has a lot of good rep too. Great review! Also, it does match your blog perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, now I'm so curious to hear your thoughts when you've read it! Haha, right? With the peculiar colours I've chosen, pretty much the only books that match it are the Halloween ones LOL.

      Delete
  3. I've been in a corn maze once. Once! Never again. It's so easy to get lost. A killer corn maze? Sounds like it would make a good horror movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I would like to try a corn maze LOL. Even if you make it sound terrifying...

      Not a killer corn maze...more like a killer in a corn maze...though not even that, exactly...it's complicated LOL.

      Delete
  4. This sounds great! I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a copy. Not surprised I missed this one, since I've been doing my MA for the past year. But now that I'm free, I'll be reading all the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the MA was rewarding in the end! Now you most certainly deserve to read ALL the books!

      Delete
  5. Did you get a Children of the Corn vibe? That movie was terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see it...you know, me and movies don't get along LOL. From what I read though, they have hardly anything in common.

      Delete
  6. I liked this one a lot too! It kept me guessing the whole time, and I agree, the friendship piece was wonderful! Glad you enjoyed it too, great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reread your review recently...but I remembered that you enjoyed it too. More YA books like this, please! Also, thanks!

      Delete
  7. 'sounds more like a criticism on the author's part than something the characters would say.' -- You gotta love the salt creeping in ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounded like a false note to me (not to mention, you can't take digs at one of my favourite shows LOL).

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.