April 20, 2021

Tell Me Something Tuesday: Have You Ever Dreamed of Becoming an Author?

Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly meme created by Heidi at Rainy Day Ramblings in order to discuss a wide range of topics from books to blogging (and some slightly more personal matters thrown in for good measure). While Heidi is on an extended hiatus, there are five of us who are hosting it and providing the questions. The current team is composed of Berls at Because Reading Is Better Than Real LifeJen at That's What I'm Talking AboutKaren at For What It's WorthLinda at Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell and Roberta at Offbeat YA. This week's question is...

HAVE YOU EVER DREAMED OF BECOMING AN AUTHOR?

My would-be writing career started off very precociously...at 7, I wrote a really short novel about a blue cat with an impossibly long striped tail called Briscolone, and his fictional family - fictional, as in, I created every single one of its members, because that character only appeared in a show's opening theme and had no family whatsoever LOL. For some reason (well...his extendable striped tail that moved on its own accord, mostly 😂) he fascinated me...I even had my mom buy me his plush toy (I remember it fondly - it was big, too! but alas, the tail came in a short version). So, I wrote that story about him, and I even glued the pages together (very messily)! I still have that "book" and sometimes I reread it...and I laugh out loud. In case you're curious, here's how Briscolone looked like (I couldn't find the video of that opening theme, so I had to settle for the record cover):


When I was a teen, I was always writing - poetry mostly. Now, it's not my place to say it, but...I think most of it was good. I started off when I was 12 or 13 and went on for many years, until the river ran dry (I'm talking about modern poetry here, not the kind that comes in rhymes). I also dreamed of writing novels, as one does, and I did try my hand at some...but I was never serious about them the way I was about my poetry. It was more of a way to entertain myself, while my poetry I actually used to think I would publish one day...though I didn't have a clue how. It's just as well that I ultimately stopped writing it (I still have all my poems though!).

Well, that's it for now. Did you enjoy this post? Would you like to participate in the meme on a regular or semi-regular basis, and get emailed the prompt list? Just head over here and fill in Jen's form! (Of course, you can jump in anytime you like - you are under no obligation to actually do all the posts, or even most of them, just because you signed up, and you can remove yourself from the list at any time). And if you're interested in participating in a more casual manner, or only in commenting, here is the TMST prompt list for the rest of April and the month of May:

  • April 27th: What’s your blog-hopping strategy? (a question I submitted)
  • May 4th: What have been some of the biggest challenges you've faced to continue blogging and how did you solve them?
  • May 11th: List your top 5 favorite books/series
  • May 18th: Are you an introvert or an extrovert? (a question I submitted)
  • May 25th: What books are you looking forward to reading in Summer 2021 (June - August)?

I'll be back on May 18th, because my next weeks are quite packed already (at least for my standards), but I'm looking forward to your answers and I'll most certainly comment on them!

Now tell me something...do you write/have you ever written anything? and have you ever wanted to be a published author (or just dreamed about it)?

29 comments:

  1. Cute story! I never wanted to be a writer, but I would love to be a career reader. hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! I'd love to read that story XD I did dream of becoming an author and did write some pretty embarrassing stories myself. But now I am content with not being a published author and instead just writing for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "How adorable! I'd love to read that story XD"
      Maybe I'll traslate it in English one day if there's enough demand 😜.

      I think blogging saved most of us from improbable writing careers 😂.

      Delete
  3. That is such an adorable writer origin story. 🥰 I love it when characters inspire our own creativity. I'm sure your cat novel was very good for seven years old!

    If it's not too personal, why did you stop writing poetry? Published or not, that's such a wonderful talent. I've never been much of a poet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm sure your cat novel was very good for seven years old!"
      There was a line that went like "At the age of six, Briscolone and Briscon [his brother] were educated". Like, you know, you reach a certain age and education is unleashed upon you all of a sudden 😂. Also, at the appropriate age, I gave them "lovers" as opposed to "girlfriends" because I thought they were the same thing. Mind you, the Italian word for "lover" is equal to your "mistress"...😂

      Ah, my poems. Most of them were love ones dedicated to my celebrity crush since age 12 😅. I went on writing them for most of my adult life, until he started disappointing me for...reasons. I think I've never felt so strongly about anything since then 😟.

      Delete
    2. "Like, you know, you reach a certain age and education is unleashed upon you all of a sudden 😂"
      I think it does feel a bit like that when you're a kid! 😂 Oh dear lol. You meant well though. At least they weren't lonely cats. <3

      Awwh, no. I'm sorry to hear that. Celebrity culture is such a mixed bag. 😟 It's a shame it interfered with your creativity.

      Delete
    3. I can't blame him for that, not completely. As I said, I've never felt anything so strongly since then, so I guess I wasn't a true poet - more like someone who needed to vent out about certain things, or to put into words the beauty/pain of a certain feeling and to celebrate/virtually reach a certain person. I have a number of poems about other subjects of course, but adult life dulled my senses somehow, at least when it comes to certain things. And even the "poetry muscle" can atrophy if you don't keep building it.

      Delete
  4. YES! I remember gluing pages together to get that book look. What is it about having a book? I consider my bound thesis my book! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see my little "book"! Such a mess was never seen 😂.

      Good thought about the thesis! See, we both wrote a book! LOL.

      Delete
  5. That's cool that you kept them! Have you ever thought of sharing? Or writing new ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing would require for me to translate them, which - aside from the work involved - would change their feel completely...New ones simply haven't knocked on my mind's door ever since...oh, ages. As I said, the river ran dry. I haven't felt inspired in decades (see my answer to Carrie above) 🤷‍♀️.

      Delete
    2. "adult life dulled my senses" you know, I have thought this so many times! There are just some things I don't FEEL as strongly as I did when I was younger? I've often wondered at that... :)

      Delete
    3. It's funny, because there are things that I feel MORE strongly now than when I was younger, but they mostly are the things that make me angry LOL.

      Delete
    4. Well yeah the angry stuff. I agree there. :)

      Delete
  6. I love that you remember your first story! I remember in the 4th grade, I teamed up with two other students to write "books" (aka we learned to fold paper and staple it so that it looked like a booklet). It was a series about superhero mice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A superhero mice? That sounds neat. I would like to read that!

      Delete
  7. Aww that sounds really cute.

    I thought about it for a while. I even wrote a book but it's really short 200 typed pages and it's Horror. I've re-read it later in life and don't think it's good so I never published.

    But then I used to write for Yahoo Contributor Network and had hundreds of articles published before they closed, so I can say I'm published. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you actually typed it - it's a real book then! 😉 Maybe something good could have come out of it with a few rounds of editing. Sometimes it's just a matter of perseveration...

      I remember you mentioning writing for Yahoo - that was cool! And yep, you are definitely published LOL.

      Delete
  8. I think my first story was about a balloon that became fiends with a cat. The end. I was SO proud and then when I looked it was so few words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! at least it was creative! And what's with us and cats 😂.

      Delete
  9. My writing career started much the same way, except I never quite let go of the idea. Now I'm agented and hoping I can sell a book soon!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! We're all rooting for you 🤞.

      Delete
  10. Seven is a good age to write novels. I think you were quite creative. And you write poetry too? Honestly, I don't always understand poetry when I read them so I do admire people who writes them. I used to write poetry, well, maybe they would just sentences without periods, but now I can't seem write them.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are still creative as an adult! I always enjoy reading your stories, and they're often funny too (when they aren't dreamlike and melancholic, that is - but I mean it as a compliment!).

      I've always liked to read poetry - maybe that was one of the reasons why I would write it too...

      Delete
  11. I LOVE that you still have the book! lol

    And I don't know why but I never saw you as writing poetry!

    I have never wanted to be writer. I just don't have that level of creativity or the desire to pursue it as a career if I did. I think the business aspect would ruin it for me. You know me and rules/schedules lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my only writing effort that has survived - that and my poems. I also had tons of notebooks full of diary entries, and one day I decided to get rid of them, since I wasn't very well rereading them - or it would have been mostly painful if I did.

      Being a writer takes a lot of discipline on top of having actual ideas. Plus, of course, the "business aspect" that you mentioned. And yes, I know you hate all the things that end with "ule" 😂.

      Delete
  12. Similar writing story for me! Poetry was always my passion, and I do still write...but inspiration will dry up for a long time usually before it comes back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least yours does come back! So...do you still write poetry specifically, or write in a wider sense?

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.