January 01, 2024

Offbeat Offline: December 2023


Welcome to Offbeat Offline, where I bring you up-to-date with what went on in my life during the month just gone, give you a sneak peek of my next shenanigans, and share my favourite posts of late!

Hello sweeties! and Happy New Year! 🎉

What happened last month to yours truly? Appalling house loan news, a shitty birthday (don't ask), Christmas laryngitis (because of course 😬), but also new money incomes and a whole lot of David Tennant 😍. I also tried to knock some review books off my list, and to actually WRITE some reviews...with meager results. In the meantime, my hair has reverted to shitty. Oh, and I saw my cousin again after...15 years? And of course I got tired a lot...


📚 (BOOKISH) LIFE IN SLOW MOTION. As I said above, I accomplished very little this month - except for requesting more books than I can handle. As of now, I have 9 ARCs to review (pub dates from February to July - the only month they don't cover is May), and I still have to read 7 of them 😧. I can't even blame the Christmas frenzy, because while everyone was running around in order to buy presents and obscene amounts of festive food, I was just...running around. For the same old reasons, you know. Also, some of these ARCs have been in my possession for months now...Anyhow, here's a rundown (yeah...to keep with the "running" theme...) of my bookish activity for the month... 

Approvals (2+1):
When Everly Tertium encounters a strange man in the park claiming to be her grandfather, she is invited to visit a mysterious apartment building. There, she finds herself in a constant state of déjà vu, impossibly certain that she’s already lived through these moments, already been introduced to these people, and already visited all of these rooms and floors. So why does she have no idea what’s happening to her? The longer she stays in the building, the more Everly becomes convinced there is more going on than meets the eye. Something is off, time seems to pass differently, and the people living there seem trapped. Slowly, Everly begins to wonder if she is trapped too. But would she even want to leave, if she could?
  • The Pecan Children by Quinn Connor (Adult, magical realism - not really an approval, because it's Read Now on NetGalley)
In the struggling town of Clearwater, Arkansas, the annual pecan harvest is a time of both celebration and heartbreak. But even as families are forced to sell their orchards and move away, Lil Clearwater refuses to let go of the land her family has been rooted to for generations. She feels a connection to the earth that goes deeper than memory―which is why she reluctantly accepts her sister Sasha's return to the fold after so long away. It should be a time of joyful reconnection, yet it isn't long before things take a dark turn. There is rot hiding beneath the surface, and hungry eyes that watch from the dark. As phantom fires begin to light up the night and troubling local folklore is revealed to be all too true, the sisters―confronted with the ghosts of their pasts―come to the stark realization that in the kudzu-choked South, nothing is ever as it seems.
Laura, Daniel and Mo disappeared without trace a year ago. They have long been presumed dead. Which they were. But now they are not. And it is up to the resurrected teenagers to discover what happened to them. Revived by Mr Anabin – the man they knew as their high school music teacher – they are offered a chance to return to the mortal realm if they can solve solve the mystery of their deaths, learn how to use the magic they now possess, and identify the mysterious fourth soul that crossed back over with them.


Reads (3):
  • Linghun by Ai Jiang (YA/Adult, afterlife/magical realism - novella)
Terrific premise, but I expected more from the execution.
Another fabulous premise, another letdown (especially due to the clunky writing style).
  • The Other Valley by Scott Alexander Howard (YA/Adult, magical realism with a time-travel angle)
Creative, quiet but poignant. Review to come in February.


Reviews (4):
I finally managed to review this one! On the blog later in the month.
  • Linghun by Ai Jiang (see above)
Mini review (on Goodreads for now).
Still stunned I got an eARC of this one! For this series, I'm continuing my tradition of writing a mini review after my first read and a full one after the second, though I hardly do that for novellas anymore. Full review coming in a few days (pub date is Tue. 9th).
  • Vangie's Ghosts by Paul Di Filippo (see above)
Mini review (on Goodreads for now - on the blog in February).

Here are my scheduled reviews for this month:
  • Mislaid in Parts Half-Known (Wayward Children #9) by Seanan McGuire (on Sat. 6th);
  • You're Breaking My Heart by Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich (on Thu. 11th);
  • The Invocations by Krystal Sutherland (on Thu. 18th).

Reviews aside, I have a post coming about having to discontinue my blog newsletter, and...that's it. I plan on reprising my participation in the Tell Me Something Tuesday meme in February though. For now, here's the TMST prompt list for the months of January and February, in case you want to join in:

  • January 2nd: What are your blogging/reading goals for the new year?
  • January 9th: Which outdoor winter activities are your favourite?
  • January 16th: Besides reading, what are some of your favorite hobbies?
  • January 23rd: Is it easier or harder to write a review for a book you loved?
  • January 30th: It's the movie of your life: who do you cast in the leading role?
  • February 6th: What's the last book you re-read? Did you like as much as the first read?
  • February 13th: Share your romance (HEA/HFN) recommendations.
  • February 20th: What's your favorite type of candy?
  • February 27th: Which books are you looking forward to reading this Spring? (Mar-May)


🤑 MONEY MATTERS. We got a letter from the bank saying that, for a number of reasons, our 20-year house loan will be extended by 7 more years! Now, we think that the numbers don't add up, so we'll have to talk to someone at the office and probably go there in person (which is tricky, since the loan is in the hub's name, and he can't go out yet...). At least my husband's early retirement and attendance allowance requests have been granted, and in a few weeks we should get a monthly money's worth equivalent to our old stipends combined, or only slightly smaller (plus his severance pay, of course).

😍 TENNANT FIX. I watched the 2nd and 3rd Doctor Who specials featuring my beloved David (you might remember that the 1st aired in November), and the 1st half of the Around the World in 80 Days mini series with him as Phileas Fogg (the rest will air this week)...plus I read that Good Omens 3 was officially greenlit...Oh, and a couple of lovely friends sent me DW/Tennant Christmas cards/artworks...Thank you so much!     


[On a side note: I also watched the special introducing the new Doctor, and I pretty much hated it. Disney partnered with BBC for international rights, and even if its influence wasn't super-obvious in the previous specials (thank goodness) it blatantly shows in this one. It's part superhero blockbuster (the anti-gravity gloves and the Doctor jumping through air in an almost-horizontally fashion in order to grasp a rope ladder???), part fantasy movie (goblins??? seriously???), and it even has a godforsaken MUSICAL NUMBER in it, with the Doctor and his new companion SINGING to their enemies...This is a parallel universe - it must be. GIVE MINE BACK].

🤬 COUGHING CHRISTMAS. Icing on the cake of my usual gloomy festivities: my yearly laryngitis landed on Christmas' eve this year. I always feel more miserable and angry than ever this time of the year, so of course I had to have one more reason to. The laryngitis ultimately got company in the form of a bad cold after Boxing Day. So...here I am, coughing my lungs out and blowing my nose, day and night. Of course, I expect the hoarseness to go on for the usual month or so...😫

😮 IT'S BEEN A MINUTE. A few days before Christmas, I saw my cousin for the first time in...15 years? She lives in a different region, and has made quite a nice life for herself - the one that I could have had, if I hadn't made a bunch of bad choices, or more like, non-choices...

🤦‍♀️ IT'S A WAR. I swear this is the last time I'm going to talk about the matter, at least until my next perm (scheduled for May as usual), but yeah...my stupid hair - which seemed to have taken when I repermed it a month ago - has turned wavy (or here and there, even straight-ish) again...where are the old, proper chemicals? Or, are there still chemicals that do the trick even if they're less aggressive than their old counterparts? And how can I know, unless I try every hairdressers under the sun? I can't win this war 😭.


Since I was on hiatus (and exhausted), I haven't blog-hopped at all this month, so I've got nothing 🙁. But as I said above, I'm going to reprise my normal routine, so this section will be operative in my next monthly recap!

That's it for now. My next post will be up on January 6th, and it will be the review for Mislaid in Parts Half-Known I mentioned above.

So, what were your highs/lows in the past month?

24 comments:

  1. I saw the new Doctor in a clip and I must admit, he seems a bit cartoonish somehow. I get the Doctor character have always been wacky but this seems a bit much.

    It sucks to be sick during the holidays, well, it sucks any day, but somehow when it happens during the holiday, it always seems worse. I hope you are better.

    I guess you don't like your cousin? Family, you can live without them and yet, they sort of show up when you don't want to see them...

    I think if I was you, I would probably just cut most of my hair. It sounds so frustrating.

    My December was fine except I caught a cold on the last day straight to the new year, real fun stuff. I think December should be a month where everyone just take off and do nothing because it's weirdly one of those holiday months where most people are barely doing the minimal of being awake, at least, that's my take.

    I hope 2024 will be good to you. Have a lovely new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, the Doctor tends to be eccentric, but Disney's involvement brought it to the next level...

      Did I really come across like I don't like my cousin? Nothing of the sort, though all this time we haven't gone out of our way to stay in contact -but the reason why I haven't seen her for such a long time is that she lives far from me.

      Aw, I'm sorry the flu bug caught you during the festivities as well! And I agree...it would be nice to just doze December off (and some people manage to do just that, except maybe they come alive when it's time to buy presents and food...).

      "I hope 2024 will be good to you."
      Same! and thank you!

      Delete
  2. Do you think our hair changes as we get older? I keep bringing pictures of myself when I do for haircuts, and it cannot be replicated. Seems odd to me, since it's me and my hair, but I have not been able to get this one haircut that I really liked back in the day. Glad you had some highs in there, and I hope 2024 is filled with many more for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Seems odd to me, since it's me and my hair, but I have not been able to get this one haircut that I really liked back in the day."
      This sounds more like a hairdresser's thing - everyone has a different hand, and some don't even like to replicate old haircut styles while the're trying to be hip LOL. Hair does change, but the difference between my current perm and the old ones is downright ridiculous, and I'm sure there's more to it...

      "Glad you had some highs in there, and I hope 2024 is filled with many more for you"
      Thank you! Have a great 2024 Sam!

      Delete
  3. I hope you are feeling better now. Happy New Year. I hope you find a lot of good books this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not coughing my lungs off anymore, but I'm voiceless as ever LOL. Thank you, and same!

      Delete
  4. Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Sending lots of positive energy for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! Let's hope 2024 sucks less than '23 did lol. Intriguing list of books. The Building sounds deliciusly creepy.

    Yay for Tennant! You know, as much of a Dr who newbie as I am, he does "feel" like the Doctor to me, maybe because he gets so much love in that role. I don't know if I'll ever have the time to bings Dr who but I do look forward, at some point, to be able to compare various ones...

    That's nice about your cousin. :)

    Looking forward to your Mislaid post since I hope to start that soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Let's hope 2024 sucks less than '23 did lol"
      Thanks! It would be a start...😂

      I'm a die-hard Tennant gal, but I also love Smith's and Capaldi's Doctors, for different reasons. I hope we'll be able to discuss them at some point!

      Yay! I'm a little nervous now because I feel responsible for getting you interested in the Wayward Children series 😅.

      Delete
    2. I'm curious about Smith too after seeing him as very villainous in Fire and Blood and Morbius!

      No no it's fine. Everyone's taste is different so if I don't like them I won't hold it against you. :) But even if I don't I consider them research since they're portals and you know me and portals...

      Thank you for your kind comment on On the Run. High praise!

      Delete
    3. "But even if I don't I consider them research since they're portals and you know me and portals..."
      I "think" I do...😉

      Delete
  6. I also saw a cousin a few months ago, and I haven't seen him in over 30 years, lol. It was a fun reunion. I'm posting my review of Wayward Children #9 tomorrow, so we can compare notes! I hope your January is good, Roberta😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 years?!?!?

      Looking forward to comparing our reviews. Have a great month yourself!

      Delete
  7. So sorry that you were sick over the holidays, that is rough! I feel like Sam might be onto something with the hair changes- I feel like hormonal shifts can wreak havoc on your hair! Now, I also agree with you that a good hairstylist should know how to navigate this, because obviously people want to look nice no matter what their hair wants to do, but it does seem possible!

    In terms of books, looks like no one liked Vangie's Ghosts, eep. I am very curious about The Other Valley! And The Book of Love, actually- but European cover ONLY. It is so very pretty, and the US one is so dull! So I cannot wait to hear your thoughts, so I can know if it is worth buying from overseas heh.

    Strange how fast time flies, eh? Like- I bet it didn't even feel like 15 years! I hope it was a pleasant reunion! Fingers crossed for a nice 2024 for you, and that the loan nonsense gets figured out too ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair has never been the same since I had to depart from my old hairdresser and her trustworthy chemicals, so...I think there's a lot more to it than age issues, though they can play a part at this point (it's been 7 or 8 years). Sigh.

      I'm curious - where did you see reviews for Vangie's Ghosts or hear that no one liked it? The Goodreads page is a desert for now (to be honest, there are two different pages for the book, one of them with a single 4 star rating...). Anyhow, yeah...I was disappointed. It had so much potential. I quite liked The Other Valley instead! Goodness, The Book of Love is SO long, and I have two more March books and a last-minute February one to read and review, so help me (Head of) Zeus 😂. Also, I agree...the US cover is very bland...

      Thank you! Happy 2024 to you, Sam and Lena!

      Delete
  8. Well if you're really excited about the ARCs, that should make it worth a bit of stress over having so many. Glad you got some good money news at least :-) And lots of Tennant! Hope you feel better soon or are already, since I'm late <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Well if you're really excited about the ARCs, that should make it worth a bit of stress over having so many."
      I am...but writing reviews has become a painful affair, which hinders my reading...😬

      Yep, we got some respite, finally (we're still waiting for the money to land though). And I got my Tennant fix 😂.

      Delete
  9. I seem to have missed a lot of posts!!!

    Yeah, I'm kind of afraid to watch the new Doctor. I was not impressed with his first appearance. They all are kind of over-the-top at first until they settle but I don't know. Really, I stopped watching after David. I didn't like Matt or his companion. And we didn't get the Jodi Doctor on my BBC at the time.

    I'm a David and Chris fan though so...

    I'll just gloss over the rest because we tried everything else, to no avail lol And my year is getting off to a chaotic start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "They all are kind of over-the-top at first until they settle but I don't know."
      Yep, good observation! On the other hand, they stay peculiar even after LOL. It breaks my heart a little that you didn't like Matt (and Karen). I loved Peter as well...Chris' Doctor was the most "normal" of them all, which is maybe the reason why I never warmed up to him.

      Yeah...we tried weird vegetables and weird animals...what's next? Weird objects? Weird movies? 😂 And...a chaotic start? What now? 😬😱

      Delete
  10. So sorry you didn't like the new Ncuti Gatwa ep. - I loved it, but then a lot of those things are stuff that's pretty normal in Welsh culture. I didn't really see it as Disney influence so much as Russell T Davies letting the dragon roar (like he did with the horse Captain from one of the Tennant specials - it is clearly a Mari Lwyd: the zombie rap-battle Christmas horse of South Wales. Because we are actually like this.)

    Fairies have been established in the Whoniverse since Torchwood's fairies so that's not really a departure, plus I think there was some hand-wavy connection to the Toymaker.

    I... honestly didn't register the song as being odd. Or really register it at all. Like, I was aware of it, in the same way I'm aware the sky is blue - but I don't go out every day and look up and be like, 'yup, blue.' Wales is called 'the land of song,' if that helps with the cultural context!

    Hopefully you'll enjoy other eps of the new doctor! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know the episode was so imbued with Welsh culture (also, I watched Torchwood eons ago, and I've since forgotten that there was a fairies episode...then again, I've never been a huge fan of fantasy-meets-sci-fi, so I probably blocked them out LOL).

      The post-Capaldi episodes haven't captivated me...even the new Tennant ones feel strange...still not sure how I feel about the bigeneration too.

      Delete
    2. Honestly, I didn't know it was so culturally Welsh until you pointed out things and I was like, 'but that's norm- ...*oh!*'

      Apparently you can't let that many Welsh people work on something and not end up with accidental Cymric vibes (lol.)

      I LOVE the Torchwood fairies episode! :) ...You might not enjoy it so much - it leans even heavier on the folkloric elements than the goblin episode does. With a heavy dash of the innate horror of human beings messing with the Fair Ones, ofc.

      Delete
    3. "Honestly, I didn't know it was so culturally Welsh until you pointed out things and I was like, 'but that's norm- ...*oh!*'"
      😂

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.