October 24, 2023

Tell Me Something Tuesday: What's Your Favourite Supernatural Creature?


Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly meme created by Heidi at Rainy Day Ramblings in order to discuss a wide range of topics from books to blogging (and some slightly more personal matters throw in for good measure). After Heidi stopped blogging (apparently for good), five of us took over as hosts while providing new questions. The current team is composed of Berls at Because Reading Is Better Than Real LifeJen at That's What I'm Talking AboutKaren at For What It's WorthLinda at Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell and Roberta at Offbeat YA. This week's question is...

WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE SUPERNATURAL CREATURE?

Wow, I haven't written a TMST post - I mean, one that doubles as a discussion post - since the beginning of May...only the "Which books are you looking forward to reading" ones. I blame my frequent hiatuses and the amount of books I've had to write reviews for, but mostly, I've been too tired and pressed for time to add yet more posts to my blogging schedule. I hope to be able to participate more regularly in the future, but don't hold your breath...

OK, so - I guess it comes as no surprise to you that while I'm not particularly fond of vampires, were-whatever, zombies, faes/faeries or any other fantasy creatures (though I've occasionally read about some of them, and I've watched 15 seasons of Supernatural 😅), I'm TRASH for ghosts. My obsession passion started with the very first YA book I read, back in the '90s: Remember Me by Christopher Pike (the first installment in the namesake trilogy). To be precise, I'm trash for everything that has to do with the afterlife, as this blog page testifies - so, basically, I ADORE stories set in the Great Beyond as well - but there's something about dead characters who don't want to stay dead, or try to connect/interact with the living (or to scare them LOL), or investigate the reason for their own demise, that makes me weak in the knees. I'm not even sure why they intrigue me so much? Maybe it's because coming back from the dead (sorta) or touching the living is the peak of impossibility, the ultimate cheat AND rebellion - and I LOVE all things impossible and subversive. Also, there's so much potential for a heartbreaking-yet-heartwarming story to be told, both from the ghost's POV and from their loved ones'. Whatever the reason...I love ghosts, and I always will - so keep them coming, please and thank you 👻.


Well, that's it for now. Did you enjoy this post? Would you like to participate in the meme on a regular or semi-regular basis, and get emailed the prompt list? Just head over here and fill in Jen's form! (Of course, you can jump in anytime you like - you are under no obligation to actually do all the posts, or even most of them, just because you signed up, and you can remove yourself from the list at any time). And if you're interested in participating in a more casual manner, or only in commenting, here is the TMST prompt list for the rest of October and the month of November:

  • Oct 31st: What's your favourite thing about Halloween?
  • Nov 7th: Sci-Fi, Urban Fantasy, Epic Fantasy...do you read them? What do you prefer?
  • Nov 14th: Do you play any sports or participate in recreational activities?
  • Nov 21st: What are you thankful for this year?
  • Nov 28th: Which books are you looking forward to reading this winter? (Dec-Feb)

I'll only be back for the meme on Nov 28th, because I have so many review books on my plate that I can't make the time for writing even more posts (a pity for the November 7th question...I wanted to share some titles...). I know, I've sucked at TMST this year, in between hiatuses and reviews. I hope to be able to answer at least one more question in December (for 2024, that is), and maybe go back to actually participating in the meme next year, as opposed to writing the random post every 2 or 3 months LOL. But I'll read yours and comment!

Now tell me something...which supernatural creature do you love most?

18 comments:

  1. Vampires is definitely my choice. I just love all kinds of vampire media and comparing how different people conceptualize vampire mythology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vampire never get old LOL (literally...😂).

      Delete
  2. OH! great discussion. I haven't been overly fond of ghosts, probably because I read a lot of romance and making that relationship work is pretty tricky. But I have enjoyed a few side character ghosts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "probably because I read a lot of romance and making that relationship work is pretty tricky"
      Haha, I bet! I don't think I've met any ghost characters who weren't protagonists? I can't recall any right now. Having them as side characters sounds like an interesting perspective...

      Delete
  3. I do agree that there are many possibilites with ghosts, and I have definitely read many books that featured a wide range of ghostly characters. I have thing for modern witches. No idea why

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because often they're strong women who defeat patriarchy? 🙂

      Delete
  4. Really interesting to learn your thoughts on why you might enjoy stories about ghosts so much! It can be interesting (didn't wanna use that word twice but couldn't think of a better one lol) to actually consider why we like the things we like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always trying to understand the why and the what of everything LOL. And I noticed you didn't mention your favourite creature, but I think I have an inkling...🧛 😉

      Delete
  5. Before you mentioned ghosts, that was my answer to this question too! I've read some excellent haunted house stories recently, so at the moment I love stories about ghosts. Although vampires will never get old for me😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a fellow ghost lover! I did notice you were reading lot of those. And...yeah...vampires never get old...in any sense 😂.

      Delete
  6. Vampires or werewolves for me. or demons, demons would be good too. I like horns. There's a little tidbit you didn't know about me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like ghosts too and the so-called after life living. Did you watch those ghostbuster movies? I suppose the ghosts represented there aren't quite the kind of ghosts you're probably referring to.

    I honestly thought you would say perhaps Doctor Who, what kind of creature is he exactly? I don't know much about that character but he is a supernatural, immortal creature.

    But I haven't really thought about which supernatural creature is my favorite. There are a lot of choices, sometimes too much but if you ask what creatures I don't like, I can actually answer better. But ghosts, immortals, witches, wizards, beings who can perform miracles, yes, to all of them but that's what I can think of today. Tomorrow, I may have a different answer.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're a fellow ghost lover! Immortals and people who can do magic in any capacity are fascinating...No, I didn't watch the Ghostbusters movies, but the fact is...I don't like movies LOL. Only TV series.

      😮 I didn't even think of the Doctor...I suppose one could make a case for Time Lords being supernatural creatures, since they regenerate in a different body and are (nearly) immortal...but they belong to the sci-fi realm, so I have a hard time categorising them as supernatural beings.

      Delete
  8. I remember answering this kind of question in my early blogging days and it was were-whatever lol and vampires. But now....I don't know. I've sort of stayed away from anything like that for so long that I don't have a favorite now.

    I loved hearing about why you love ghosts!

    Karen @For What It's Worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, back when we started (and you're a few years ahead of me in that respect) vampires and were-things were all the rage LOL. I do like SOME vampires - Jeri Smith-Ready's take on them was interesting, and I love Christopher Pike's Thirst (formerly The Last Vampire) series.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Ohh ghosts! Good pick! Good ghosts, evil ghosts, hot ghosts, lol

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.