June 22, 2021

Tell Me Something Tuesday: What’s Your Favourite Form of Media (Apart from Literature, That Is)?

Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly meme created by Heidi at Rainy Day Ramblings in order to discuss a wide range of topics from books to blogging (and some slightly more personal matters thrown in for good measure). While Heidi is on an extended hiatus, there are five of us who are hosting it and providing the questions. The current team is composed of Berls at Because Reading Is Better Than Real LifeJen at That's What I'm Talking AboutKaren at For What It's WorthLinda at Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell and Roberta at Offbeat YA. This week's question is...

WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE FORM OF MEDIA (APART FROM LITERATURE, THAT IS)?

I used to be such a music junkie until a few years ago. I think working in radio finally ruined it for me - or maybe it's because I devote all my free time to reading and blogging now...but I'm not sure. I have TONS of LPs/CDs (yeah, I'm old - I like my music physical πŸ˜‰), but I rarely listen to them anymore. It might also be a case of "some of my idols took a fall from grace"...though my most fervently loved artists are dead (think Queen) or retired (think Billy Joel, who's very much active on the concert front - or was until Covid happened - and consequently on the live album one, but stopped producing new music twenty-eight years ago...and mind you, I admire an artist who knows when to admit that the river ran dry). Anyhow, in my heart, I still love music - I just don't consume it as I used to anymore πŸ˜Ÿ.

What I do consume these days are TV series, but only those who feel relevant to me - I don't watch TV (or, well, series) just to pass the time. I barely have time for my blog (and yours) sometimes. My little heart is already aching because in winter we'll finally get the last season of Supernatural in Italy, and I don't know if I'm ever going to find a new series capable to fill that void 😒.


Well, that's it for now. Did you enjoy this post? Would you like to participate in the meme on a regular or semi-regular basis, and get emailed the prompt list? Just head over here and fill in Jen's form! (Of course, you can jump in anytime you like - you are under no obligation to actually do all the posts, or even most of them, just because you signed up, and you can remove yourself from the list at any time). And if you're interested in participating in a more casual manner, or only in commenting, here is the TMST prompt list for the rest of June and the month of July:

  • June 29th: Midyear update: what have you been up to? (which I renamed Halfway Through: A Midyear Recap, in order to be consistent with my previous midyear posts)
  • July 6th: How do you approach writing reviews? (a question I submitted)
  • July 13th: What are your favourite posts to read? (a question I submitted)
  • July 20th: What authors have you recently discovered and loved?
  • July 27th: Where is your favorite place to read during the summer?

I'll be back on June 29th, and even if you're not doing your midyear-update post, I encourage you to drop a comment on that day, and tell me and the other TMST hosts which were the highlights (and the lowlights, if you are so inclined) of the first half of the year for you, and what you're hoping to see/achieve in the second!

Now tell me something...what kind of media do you love/consume the most (besides books of course)?

24 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you on tv. I know a lot of people love Supernatural and are sad to see it go :( I hope you find another show to love! Some of my fave shows are Parks and Rec and The Good Place. I love sitcoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a sitcom gal but I like the premise of The Good Place - I hope to be able to see it one day!

      Delete
  2. I go through everything in cycles. I'll listen to lots of music and then barely the car radio for the next few.
    Reading is slow going these days. I'm just not in the mood so we've been watching more tv. I'm not great at binging and I'm way pickier with tv/movies than I even am with reading lol
    My true love - but not media - is gardening. I'm not always great at it but I love flowers and the butterflies/bees and critters they bring.

    I can see how working with music kind of ruined it. That happened to me with animals (of course I still love the animals but I had series trauma after working with them - meaning people and owners) and to a lesser degree, reading because of blogging.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm way pickier with tv/movies than I even am with reading lol"
      There isn't a ton of TV that I watch with what you would call "purpose" exactly because of that LOL. But most police procedurals have my attention πŸ˜‰.

      I learned that doing something you love for a living is dangerous, unless it's in the right environment and with the right people. Of course, in your case, it was even more dangerous, because I guess you were in contact with all kinds of people, not always the same ones, and there was so much potential for each day to get ruined in an unexpected or different way.

      Delete
  3. I still love music and try to get to some live shows every now and then, but I will admit, I don't really listen to it much any longer. I used to watch a LOT of TV, but stopped in 2019, because I couldn't keep up with the shows being away from home 13 hours a day. I guess online media would be the only other media I really take in along with books. I read the paper every day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I get it. To me, it's still a miracle that you're able to churn out 4 or 5 posts a week πŸ‘. But you read the paper! In this day and age, it's commendable. I only scroll through the online news.

      Delete
  4. I also used to be obsessed with music. I loved live concerts and would site and listen to tapes, then CDs for hours and hours. Now, I will have it on for background noise or in the car, but it's not something I follow. I'm a TV junkie right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it sad when one looks back and realises how much certain things have changed? Sometimes it feels like there was an edge of innocence and passion in the way we loved something that we just lost along the way 😒.

      Live concerts are still something that I would attend...if my situation allowed it 😟.

      Delete
  5. For me it is one hundred percent TV shows and films. I am the kind of person who can watch a show just for the sake of it because I mostly just watch shows when I eat breakfast and lunch. I feel weird watching something when I'm not eating and I feel weird eating if I'm not watching something - so sometimes I take up watching mediocre shows just to fill that eating time every day. I like to multitask like that. I am CRAZY about some shows. Supernatural/superpowered ones are my favourite, so yes, I've seen Supernatural but not past season two. I liked Dean :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're like me then - I mostly watch TV when I'm eating LOL. But if I do love something, I can watch it at any hour.

      But what? "not past season two"?!? Why? I swear I'm not being biased when I say that I do believe you're missing on something πŸ˜‰. The whole apocalypse...Lucifer...even God...they've interacted with pretty much everything and everyone - and let's not forget Castiel, my favourite angel 😁. Also, Dean, yeah, soft spot for him here as well 😁. Do you know that Jensen Ackles will be in the upcoming season of The Boys as Soldier Boy?

      Delete
    2. I don't know why, I guess I was feeling a bit of franchise fatigue. I probably binge-watched it too fast and too regularly. Maybe I should give it another shot. No, I've never heard of The Boys. I'll look it up, thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
    3. Supernatural got better and better from Season 3 to 6. After that, there have been very good seasons and less enticing ones, but the overall level has always been high. I wouldn't recommend bingeing it though...15 seasons are quite a feat LOL.

      Delete
  6. Your answer is almost the same as mine would be. I used to love listening to music and had hundreds of CDs. Now all I listen to is digital music but I still have CDs sitting around.

    I suppose since I grew up staring at a television screen, it makes sense that I consumed a lot tv shows and movies and I still do these days but not as much.

    I keep hearing about the show Supernatural but I have no desire to watch it. It seems a bit scary to me and I'm not sure I want to invest in a show that's 10 or 11 seasons long (not sure of the number) if it's a horror.

    I also spend a lot of time watching youtube videos these days - would that be considered a media?

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supernatural is 15 seasons long, actually, and yeah - horror and gore...not your kind of thing πŸ™‚.

      Of course YouTube videos count!

      Delete
  7. I don't watch a lot of tv. Maybe 2 hours at night between dinner and bed time. Most days I'm online at my desk and laptop. I listen to music all day while I'm online. I have a playlist of hundreds of songs on Youtube that I listen to. I have to listen to music while reading, blogging, scrolling social media. The only time I'm not listening to music is when I'm watching a Youtube video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't listen to music when I read or blog...I need to soak in it, and reading and blogging take all my attention off it.

      I don't know why, but I wouldn't have pegged you for a music enthusiast. It's nice!

      Delete
  8. I think it's interesting the way we all seem to go through changes in our favorite media. I'm a TV person these days too. Like you, I don't have much extra time so I don't watch a lot of it, but I enjoy several series when I do have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw on your blog that you've been on a Buffy binge for a while!

      Delete
  9. Music is great, but I also don't listen as much as I used to. But that's ok, we can still love things in small doses :-)

    I don't watch / listen to a lot of movies or shows either. I didn't realize you'd be behind on seasons of shows based on where you live. I hope the final season of Supernatural lives up to your love for the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "we can still love things in small doses :-)"
      Haha, yeah, I suppose we can!

      "I don't watch / listen to a lot of movies or shows either."
      But you watch YouTube vids! They count! And squirrel/bird live theater πŸ˜‚.

      Sometimes it takes years for us to see a series on our TV, sometimes a few months - and if it's a real event (like, say, Game of Thrones) a few weeks. Of course I'm talking about dubbed ones. So, in the meantime...spoilers, spoilers everywhere 😟 😠 πŸ˜‚.

      Delete
    2. I guess I do spend a lot of time on YouTube lol. And I definitely watch live bird and squirrel theatre 😁

      Delete
    3. I'm sure it's worth it! The pics are adorable.

      Delete
  10. It's sad that such a big favorite like Supernatural is ending for you. :/ I'm not great with following series for years, as I usually get bored after a few seasons, so I haven't really experienced this on such a scale. But even so, letting go of The Magnus Archives, my favorite podcast, after listening to it (+ discussing it / theorizing about what was to come with friends and looking up fanart and reading fanfiction) for over a year was HARD. I still haven't managed it, which is why I'm still reading fanfiction and I'm about halfway through my relisten of the podcast, haha. In any case, I hope you'll find something to fill that void for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? For me, the longer the series, the better LOL. Well, not necessarily so, but when I'm a fan, I'm a hardcore one (my record is the original Law & Order, all the 20 seasons of it πŸ˜‚). But when a story has been told from each and every angle, I may be sad it's being terminated, but I know it's the right thing to do.

      "I hope you'll find something to fill that void for you!"
      Thanks! I'm not holding my breath though. Magic is rare...

      LOL, I know you were totally immersed into TMA. But maybe Sims will come up with a new podcast that you'll love! Have you ever written TMA fan fiction yourself?

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...πŸ˜‰ And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day πŸ˜ƒ.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.