October 03, 2018

Back to Black: Introducing the 2018 Halloween Backlist

Pumpkin photo: free from Pixabay. Graphics: Offbeat YA

 Hello sweeties, and happy/scary October! 😱
 
This year, I'm attempting something I've wanted to do for a long time. Every October since I started my blog, I kept seeing my fellow bloggers celebrate Halloween with their posts. Now, while I don't really observe the festivity (so to speak) IRL, I've been toying with the idea of joining the virtual fun with a series of blog posts myself, also because I DO enjoy dark things in my reading (except the brand of body horror for which Stephen King is renowned. Sorry guys, I tried). This resolution was stated in my Goals for 2018 post as well, as it was the intention of reviewing more backlist this year (well, so far, I haven't be able to squeeze many old-ish novels in my review plan for the year - but hey, still better than the ZERO of 2017...😏). So, I decided to accomplish two goals at once, and to spotlight four old and/or old-ish books from the dark side this Halloween, one every Wednesday till October 31st itself. Here's the plan, with dates, titles, authors and genres for each book...

Wed. 10th: 13 Tales to Give You Night Terrors by Troy H. Gardner et al. (as the name promise, a short story collection, especially hinging on the supernatural, but with a variety of flavours. Both Adult and YA age ranges are represented)

Wed. 17th: Shallow Graves by Kari Wallace (Afterlife - YA)

Wed. 24th: Spellbound by Christopher Pike (Thriller/Supernatural - YA)

Wed. 31th: Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith Ready (Urban Fantasy - Adult)

Side note: strictly speaking, this isn't a "beat the backlist" series of posts, since I've read all these books already - just never gotten around to reviewing them. So I'm only beating my review backlist. But honestly, who cares. So, buckle up, hold on tight and prepare to SCREAM!!!

OK, of course, Dean doesn't scream. But the look of fear/distress on his face is PRICELESS 😆

14 comments:

  1. Who cares indeed! You're still getting things done and MULTITASKING lol

    And, as is our way, I do not have any Halloween posts planned for Halloween for the first time in years lol

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you want to do Christmas instead? Because I have that slot free 😂.

      Delete
  2. I am SO excited for your reviews, and happy that you're joining the Halloween fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know you love your mystery/horror stuff, so maybe you'll find some new book to add to your TBR list! I mean...sorry to add to your pain LOL.

      Of course I plan on visiting YOUR posts - probably over the weekends. Darned time...

      Delete
  3. I love how you are getting a twofer here. I hope all the books are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that's what it is, isn't it?

      Thanks! I've had these reviews scheduled for months now LOL - so I know they are good books.

      Delete
  4. Multitasking for the win! I don't think I've done a Halloween post? I do tend to save my spooky/scary books for this time of year (like The Lantern's Ember), so it's nice to see it here on your blog. I love, love, love Jeri Smith-Ready. I think she is a beautiful person! However, I haven't read her UF series, so I'm curious to see what your thoughts are. Will they actually make me scream?? ;)

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't think so, but the one I'm reviewing is a rather dark standalone, Requiem for the Devil (her first book). I suppose you're familiar with her Avery Cockburn material...I have read her WVMP Radio series, and reviewed it in the past (it's in my Adult Room, in case you're interested). That series was the reason why I came across Karen's blog, I think.

      Maybe you can do a Halloween post/series of posts next year! After all, I only did it after 6 years of blogging, so you have plenty of time 😉.

      Delete
  5. You have been hyping this up all year and I AM SO READY! I don't even like horror/scary books and I am super excited for this series. I know how much work and planning you put into these posts, so I am going to try and push past my nature as a scaredy-cat to give these books a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the sweetest! But I'm sure you'll find something to love anyway, because after all, you watch Supernatural! 😉

      Delete
  6. Listen, Roberta. If you say nothing, they will KNOW nothing about beating your review backlist (much like me never admitting all my reviews are books I've read months ago).

    I'm joining/hosting Blogoween though... even if I don't celebrate Halloween myself. *screams to start the event off*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late! I've been talking about scheduling posts for October since...I don't know...May? 😂 Maybe next time!

      I saw your post about Blogoween. I'm actually guilty of lurking from the shadows lately...😳 I guess I should ALSO comment sometimes...🙄

      Delete
    2. Bahaha, lately I've been catching up on comments on the blog until I realized, "OH HEY. I HAVEN'T SEEN ROBERTA IN LIKE 5 YEARS. Let me go peep on her blog to see what nonsense she's up to these days and make her day with my smol, developing self."

      So this is me. Procrastinating from my own blog. At um... 1 in the morning? I'm doing great. 😂

      Delete
    3. I think our love is mostly unspoken 😂.

      What's 1 in the morning for a spring chicken like you? It's we old ladies who need sleep...

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.