September 01, 2026

Offbeat Offline: August 2026


Welcome to Offbeat Offline, where I bring you up-to-date with what went on in my life during the month just gone, give you a sneak peek of my next shenanigans, and share my favourite posts of late!

What happened last month to yours truly? More stifling heat, a whole lot of boredom. But what can you do in this climate? August was another unforgiving month, with a very brief (and mild) respite a few days ago and a fresh (ha!) wave of HELL afterwards. Anyhow, let's start with the bookish stuff as usual...


📚 THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME. I read four new or new-ish books this month (two of them being ARCs), and packed in three rereads as well. You might notice a pattern here...I read only one book less than I did in July, and like last month, my rereads were books that I reviewed at the start of my blogging journey and hadn't revisited ever since (one of them has recently been reissued though...more below).

Approvals (0):

The last time that it happened was in June. I haven't requested much lately though (considering that most books I'm interested in can only be wished for on NG). At the moment, I only have 2 pending requests on NG and 3 on EW. And a ton of books to read nevertheless, so...😅

Reads (7):
Horror-wise, this story is top-notch and super-imaginative. But it would have benefited from more space to breath, and I wish there had been more backstory to the characters and more room to make them fully human and more relatable. Anyhow, if you're a fan of fast-paced, quirky horror and redemption arcs, you'll be guaranteed to have a good time with this one.
I loved this one! Told in a double-timeline narrative, it blends atmospheric/body horror, generational trauma, coming of age, fierce friendship/lesbian awakening, on the backdrop of a labyrinthine, impossible building that is not a haunted house, but a haunt in itself.
  • Hell to Pay by Lora Beth Johnson (YA, afterlife/supernatural)
I wish we'd seen more of the afterlife, and I didn't get particularly attached to the characters (though they were all solid), plus the heists were somehow convoluted and required some suspension of disbelief. But Hell to Pay turned out to be original and entertaining, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone vibing with outrageous heists, snarky protagonists, afterlife settings, mythology, humour and dysfunctional found families.
To be honest, I've only read 2/3 of it so far, so no review excerpt yet - but I'm enjoying it a lot! There's a vanished-sister mystery with a supernatural angle, the main character is tridimensional and relatable, and the writing is very evocative. (I know, lackluster cover, but it's an indie book, so I guess the budget was tight...anyhow, don't let the packaging put you off).


  • Human.4 [UK title: 0.4] (Point 4 #1) by Mike Lancaster (YA, sci-fi - reread [pub. 2011])
Gripping, thought-provoking story with an unique premise (which is, for all purposes, a variation of the old-age alien-contact trope...only without the aliens. Did I pique your curiosity?), told via audiotapes by a 15-y.o. boy. Here's my old review.
Set a thousand years after Human.4 (and equally thought-provoking), told by another 15-y.o. boy via a series of blog entries, this one cleverly builds on the events from Book 1, blending sci-fi, dystopia, conspiracy and a touch of romance. Here's my old review.
  • Riven (Riven #1) by B.C. Jonson (YA, urban fantasy/sci-fi - reread [pub. 2015])
This one has an exciting sci-fi premise and a strong magic twist. It's a post-apocalyptic fable that sprinkles the gore with a poetic dressing and peppers it with humour; a love story in the widest, purest sense between two friends of different genders; a tale of powerful individuals and ordinary heroes. Ordinarily, I would link to my old review here, but I decided not to. The fact is, this self-published book fell through the cracks at the time, so the author recently decided to reissue it, and that prompted me to post a new and improved version of what was my ARC review (see below). The original one would sound both weird and outdated to anyone reading it 11 years later, since it not only refers to a slightly different version of the story - with a different cover and title, even - but starts with a rant about the prejudices that surround indie books, addresses ARC issues and mentions preorders...(...I also found a couple of typos/errors in said review when I reread it, but shhh 😅).


Reviews (4 - I did count Riven's, since it's been heavily edited...):
  • Return to the Motherfreaking Fun Factory by Neil Kleid (see above)
Mini review to come on the 20th.
  • Until the Last Light Goes Out by Courtney Gould (see above)
Mini review to come on the 25th.
  • Hell to Pay by Lora Beth Johnson (see above)
Mini review on GR for now.
  • Riven (Riven #1) by B.C. Jonson (see above)
Revised review coming on the 15th.

Here are my scheduled reviews for this month:


Reviews aside, I'll participate in the Tell Me Something Tuesday meme on the 5th (question: Which books are you looking forward to reading this fall? (September-November)...it was supposed to be today's post, but I moved it forward to make space for my monthly recap) and on the 29th (with a round-up post). In the meantime, here's the TMST prompt list for the rest of September, in case you want to join in:

  • September 8th: Do you ever go to class reunions? (a question I submitted)
  • September 15th: What’s one thing that’s always in your fridge? (a question I submitted)
  • September 22nd: Tell us about your current (or past) job (a question I submitted)
  • September 29th: Sweet or salty snacks - which do you prefer?


🥵 GREETINGS FROM HELL. The heat has been kicking my ass all August. There have been three or four days of tolerable temps, but it was still too little for me to feel like tending to the house or cooking "real" meals...and lo and behold, hell broke loose again at the end of the month. Another heat-related problem I'm having (apart from leg aches/muscle soreness, and the house crumbling around me because I can't do chores at 29-30°C/84.2-86°F INSIDE) is that I'm starting to resent my usual "sit, read, review, comment, read some more, draft non-review posts, play online games, read even further" routine. Sometimes even reading becomes, maybe not a chore, but the only way to pass the time instead of a choice. But what can I do? The upside is that, while vegetating in front of my computer, I've been able to schedule all my September posts and build a whole archive of mini reviews, and since I've decided to take a hiatus in October, I'll be free to do what needs to be done when the temps become more merciful...unless they want to keep at this until Christmas, that is 😡 😭.


PUBLISHING NEWS/TIPS

None this month.

THINK-PIECES, DISCUSSIONS, ORIGINAL FICTION

REVIEWS/RECOMMENDATIONS

OTHER

That's it for now. My next post will be up on September 5th, and it will be the TMST one I mentioned above.

So, what were your highs/lows in the past month?

2 comments:

  1. The heat has been crazy in the US this year too and I do not do heat well. I just added Welcome to the Motherfreaking Fun Factory and Hell to Pay to my TBR thanks to you, which by the way, has a wonderful cover. Thanks for the shout out. I saw you thought my title for the Reliquary review might have been a spoiler. Maybe a bit but not really. That book is WILD and I doubt few could see where it was headed from that statement. I really try to avoid spoilers as much as possible.

    Hope you manage to get some relief from the heat. Work has been nuts here but at least I get a three day weekend due to the US Labor Day holiday this weekend. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I just added Welcome to the Motherfreaking Fun Factory and Hell to Pay to my TBR thanks to you"
      Glad to hear! The first one especially is your kind of book, I can tell.

      "I saw you thought my title for the Reliquary review might have been a spoiler. Maybe a bit but not really. That book is WILD and I doubt few could see where it was headed from that statement. I really try to avoid spoilers as much as possible."
      I know! I didn't think it was meant to be a huge spoiler, you know - like, that character was the ultimate bad guy or something.

      Enjoy your long weekend and recharge (heat permitting...😭)!

      Delete

Welcome to Offbeat YA! I love hearing from you and always - I mean always - acknowledge your comments. This used to be a full democracy place, because anyone could comment, regardless of being a registered member of any community. Unfortunately, I had to turn off the Anonymous comment option, because I was getting too much spam that didn't get filtered. So, you’ll need to have a Google account (Gmail will suffice) in order to comment. Sorry about that. Anyway, jump right in! Come on, you know you want to...😉 And be sure to leave a link!
BTW...I don't care if a post is a million months old - you comment, I respond. And you make my day 😃.
Note: this is an award/tag free blog. Sorry I can't accept nominations due to lack of time.

As per the GDPR guidelines, here's the link to my Privacy Policy.